BBC apologizes after interviewer confuses politician's resting smirk for actual laughter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/23/bbc-apologizes-after-interview.html

2 Likes

Easy mistake to make. The idea that a conservative politician would react to stories of people suffering with with an expression of wry amusement is only too likely.

32 Likes

I have resting wolf face, my Dear Wife says so…

9 Likes

Seems to me like her mean spirited smirk is just that. Just because being a mean spirited person is her natural state of being doesn’t mean she should get a pass for it, whether it’s “resting” or not. She’s a terrible person and her face shows it. It is what it is. BBC shouldn’t have apologized.

30 Likes

I have resting wolf face right now.

Also: I’ve always found it odd that when you look at most politicians’ or celebrities’ official photos and really look into their eyes, the results are super creepy. They check all of the necessary affectations, but something is just… missing.

4 Likes

The important thing to understand is that she was laughing at the thought of all the peons suffering on the inside. Because Tory.

11 Likes

The soul has been taken, and never to return. Or maybe not…

1 Like

She would have never passed the Hirevue AI interview.

11 Likes

“I’m sorry you look like that.”

Sounds about right.

1 Like

You win today’s BoingBoing!

I watched this heartless scumtastic proto-fascist give her speech at the Tory conference and as appearances go it was sick. Because every time she said something nasty (polite description of fuckwittery the assorted old codgers and younger nut-jobs at the conference applaud and have orgasms over) and paused for the orgasms to subside, she just stood there smirking. I really wanted to reach into the TV and inflict some strong physical violence on her face. Come to think of it, still do. She is an extremely nasty piece of work.

8 Likes

And from now on can she be referred to as Priti ‘Smirky’ Patel? Or just Smirky Patel?

ETA @beschizza Where’s her mouth-eyes picture, eh? Come on, Rob, it’s an open goal.

9 Likes

Resting twit face?

6 Likes

Wait. This is the BBC that apologised for one of its reporters characterising the “send them home” rhetoric as racist? I’m going lean on the side of she, and pretty much all the tory front bench I’ve seen talking, smirking when she’s being mean. Remember the cruelty being the point? Well, It’s the fucking point of being a conservative: being a total and utter bastard and getting away with it.

As I may have pointed out multiple times before (usually when describing Liberals as Tories who want to be seen as nice thus missing the entire point).

7 Likes

The self entitled smirk is just frozen there because that’s the way the vile woman has here face most of the time. I’m not conviced it wasn’t a smirk, she seemed to be comminicating with someone of camera during the interview.

3 Likes

I’ve been binge watching the West Wing on Netflix (I’d seen it in its initial run but not since) and I’m amazed at how relevant it all is. When Leo McGarry was running for Vice President (the final season), there was a whole discussion during his debate prep about his perpetual smirk and trying to get him to not do that.

6 Likes

Of course she didn’t smirk, obviously - because absolutely totally no-one is going to suffer after Brexit. No, really, everything will super-duper for everyone. Like heaven on earth, actually.

3 Likes

Why, it’s almost as if their livelihood is entirely dependent on their appearances, or something.

4 Likes

I’m fairly certain that Priti Terrible smirks like that when she knows she is saying something execrable and/or lying. It’s her tell. It’s not an actual smirk, it’s an involuntary facial tic.

That said, in a kakistocratic cabinet, Patel is definitely one of the most dreadful, and that’s saying something. Most of them do dishonourable things that suit them without feeling guilt; she goes further and appears to actively ENJOY being a shit.

10 Likes

She probably has wry amusement thinking of people suffering 24/7.

3 Likes

Patel is a particularly malignant individual, and without merit as a politician. She deserves nothing but contempt.

5 Likes