The greatest moment in the history of conservative comedy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/the-greatest-moment-in-the-his.html

8 Likes

As much as I hate her whole shtick, you have to admire the completeness of her apology.

40 Likes

ouch
(Post must be at least 8 characters)

3 Likes

Will conservatives ever realise that comedy is not one of their core competencies?

53 Likes

I can remember when Dennis Miller was actually funny.

12 Likes

If that was SNL days, perhaps he had someone helping him with the material…

19 Likes

So can I. Before he went full conservative. A comedian should never go full conservative.

Their failure comes down to the fact that they’re always punching down, even when (as in this case of this lazy twit) they think they’re punching up.

Also, note the giggling mean-spirited glee on the male host’s face when he informs her of her screw-up. Conservative “comedy” is a viper’s nest.

42 Likes

Jesus, that was so long ago it makes Sherman Potter look like Gene Krupa.

18 Likes

Fuck that Greg dude laughing away while telling her that the boy has a heart condition.

You know comedy has a really serious abuse culture. You can really see how.

13 Likes

the look on her face, and the apology. at least you get the sense that she has some morals and felt bad about this. maybe she will think before she speaks next time…but i won’t hold my breath.

8 Likes

It’s not often that you get such transparency into how lax their sausage manufacturing process is. They make it look like orchestrated villainy, but it’s often just off-the-cuff assholery.

11 Likes

Modern American conservatism seems all about normalizing being an asshole while claiming to hold the moral high ground. Behavior you wouldn’t tolerate in the schoolyard suddenly becomes ok when it’s adults on national television.

34 Likes

If she were reading boing boing, she’d have learned how to hold down a cat.

33 Likes

Sssshhhh! Don’t tell anyone but if you shift down and type a fairly short string of ~'s and that’s super easy, the ~'s disappear on publication, but still count as things.

15 Likes

just. regardless of Kimmel’s son’s health conditions.

The notion that we are going to shame ANYONE at ANYTIME for wanting to step back and spend more time with their kids…uh, WTF.

Right wingers are really something. The mental gymnastics to on one hand bash someone for spending family time, then in the next breath championing those family values is mind-blowingly frustrating!

32 Likes

Agatha Christie was VERY conservative, but it didn’t really show in most of her books. Except one, where she let’s it rip. It is horrifyingly bad. I guess she learned a lesson or something. Passenger to Frankfurt is simply wretched. And I really like most of Christie’s books.

3 Likes

Conservative comedy is a two step process:

1. Say something horrible.
  2. Insist you were only kidding.

It literally works for everything. “Hey, that Hitler fella had some great ideas! I’m kidding! I’d push over and step on your dying grandmother to make abortion illegal… haha, you thought I was serious!”

18 Likes

The Indians are near… /Mel Brooks

8 Likes

Yeah, well that one is not so overt, especially for its time. And it is also know as And Then There Were None and I’m not sure which was the original title. A number of Christie books were re-titled and often for the best. I mean, Murder in the Calais Coach is underwhelming at best.

1 Like

Well, there may have been a time when the N-word wasn’t a slur, but 1939 wasn’t it. The most notorious title of the novel is the original.

14 Likes