The greatest moment in the history of conservative comedy

I regret saying this, but I enjoyed his standup comedy when I was a teen/young adult in the late 80s, early 90s. I’ve grown since then. The last time I tried re-listening to his early schtick I couldn’t believe I ever enjoyed him.

I think it helps when comedy isn’t slathered in a thick layer of vitriol. It was dripping from her entire “act.”

Also, it tends to only ever be “comedy” when it’s not perceived the way they intended. FOX “News” is normally her safe space.

I read her expression at the end to be less, “I said something horrible on FOX” than, "I said something horrible enough to be called out on FOX"

17 Likes

Actually I give that one a pass.
The title had been changed in new editions though the rhyme is still in the book. The rhyme is there for structural reasons and that structure is very successful. One of her neatest works.
Also, all the dead people are sleazy Brits.

1 Like

You know, it’s funny, because whenever a Republican politician gets caught with his pants down and consequently resigns, it’s invariably to “spend more time with his family”.

13 Likes

You’d probably have to go back to before the first time it was ever used in the 1500s.

6 Likes

“conservative comedy”

At least it was a real apology, and not some passive-tense excuse.

What does that have to do with comedy?

22 Likes

I would also like to point out that this lady clearly has a horrible relationship with her cat.

23 Likes

I’ve always believed that it was a calculation for him. At some point, he realized that his career was going nowhere and that there were too many lefties in his business, so he switched to the rightwing track, and a whole bunch of conservative venues opened up that had little to no competition. He managed to extend his career by a good 20 years, even if it meant alienating 50% of his audience. I mean, it worked for Rush Limbaugh, and Joe Rogan seems to be following in the same footsteps.

13 Likes

Well, it was funny when she faked her disappearance and hid in a hotel under the name of her husband’s mistress.

3 Likes

That word:

10 Likes

Agatha Christie was a comedian??

15 Likes

I’ve stuck my foot in my mouth so completely like that once… but at least I wasn’t disparaging a kid.

1 Like

Oh the cringing, so much cringing. Agreed on “At least it was a real apology, though.”

As someone who has a (very accommodating and well behaved) cat that needs to be diapered every night, and has pointed out that diapering is a little different on someone furry who runs at 15 mph, jumps 5 ft in the air, and wears diapers with a big tail hole…I would still never even think that caring for a cat was comparable to caring for a child, sick or not.

6 Likes

Yeah I realllly don’t understand why this sort of shit is tolerated on news networks. Even if it is someone I hated, what the hell makes this sort of rant ok. I mean on a comedy show, ok, kinda boring, but ok. But if you are purporting to be NEWS…

Yeah I know, butts in the seats… sigh

2 Likes

That may have been nervous laughter. Or laughing at how badly she was stepping in it.

1 Like

I’m not America. Where’s my apology?

3 Likes

We probably don’t want Fox News hosts getting any more comfortable with the idea of compression-based compliance holds than they already are.

3 Likes

Is…is that a comedy show (or the attempt at one) on Fox News? Does anyone actually watch that?

2 Likes

That’s the trade-off for being immune to irony.

4 Likes

Fox News did once attempt to create a comedic news show, envisioned as something akin to a conservative version of The Daily Show, back in 2007. It was about as funny as one might guess and greeted with terrible reviews and poor ratings. It was mercifully cancelled after a handful of episodes.

8 Likes

It always seemed to me that Miller lost his fucking mind after 9/11.

2 Likes