BBS Trip Advisor

Yes, a few times. Got a roomette, so meals were included.

10 Likes

A couple of times. I guess it’s worth it.

7 Likes

I managed to earn enough points to pay for (most of) the third trip, so that was a decent return on investment. However, that was before the Guest Rewards expiration dates and partners went through major pre-pandemic changes. I’m not sure if this site is still updated regularly for rail, but it did give me a heads-up about alternate ways to earn rail travel points and advisories (like AAA discounts getting dropped):

10 Likes

When I was 14, my dad took me on a trip from Kansas City to Albuquerque on the Southwest Chief. It wasn’t exactly cross-country, but it was still 24 hours on a train. We then drove down from Albuquerque to Carlsbad Caverns. It was an unforgetable trip.

I have since taken overnight sleeper trains in Japan and Thailand, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. It’s a great way of doing the journey above and beyond the destination.

11 Likes

Seconded. I love waking up as the train approaches my destination. Bonus points if there’s a shower on the train.

11 Likes

Any tips for Salamanca, Spain? I’m heading there Friday.
In Porto, Portugal right now. Toured the Douro wine region yesterday, really beautiful!

17 Likes

season 6 jealousy GIF by Will & Grace

16 Likes

Loving St. Louis.

Four Hands Brewing has some very good beer. I had:

Divided Sky Rye IPA
Incarnation IPA
War Hammer IPA
City Wide IPA

I don’t usually tend towards that many IPAs in a sitting, but those were recommended. And all very good.

17 Likes

Sorry I missed you, but we had a good old time in STL as well.

12 Likes

I’ve got one more night here. I’ll be at Urban Chestnut on Manchester after 7 tonight. Last night here.

10 Likes

11 Likes

Thank you! Great advice across the board. They had just closed Nordic skiing around Lost Lake in Whistler proper, so we had to go to the Olympic Park - which was gorgeous and an amazing facility. It was nice to have luxury amenities like at a high-end alpine skiing venue, but dedicated to Nordic skiing!

Train Wreck was a fun hike, but a lot of the trail was icy. Good thing we brought our microspikes!

I had planned to see the three main waterfalls in the area - Shannon Falls, Brandywine Falls, and Nairn Falls - but Brandywine falls park was closed due to icy conditions. Still, Shannon Falls and Nairn Falls were impressive, and that’s coming from someone who lives in an area with so many waterfalls that I’m pretty jaded about it.

We splurged and took the Sea-to-Sky gondola and it was amazing. Such incredible views!

20 Likes

Looks like you nailed the weather! Too bad about Brandywine. I don’t know why they close it as there really isn’t anything technical about the walk in. And you were prepared with spikes. It might be lack of budget to clear the parking lot. There are a few other falls to see, so next time… Speaking of which, come back for the fishing.

5 Likes

Heading to Hendaye, France tomorrow to spend a week in Basque Country. I’ve never been to that part of the world. Any recommendations? It’s a working vacation so I don’t have tons of time, but a person has to eat, so any and all food recommendations will be given serious consideration!

11 Likes

I’m headed to Bangkok, Thailand, with a few days in Ho Chi Minh City, next month when classes end.

Suggestions welcome. I plan to see the Cu Chi tunnels outside of Ho Chi Minh City, and to see various temples in Bangkok. I’ll be staying with an expat friend who knows the city. But, suggestions welcome!

Also, I will remember to look out the window:

8 Likes

YES. This.

Which of the two cities will you have the built-in guide?

8 Likes

Must sees in Bangkok

Wat Phra, its a rather sprawling temple complex in the heart of Bangkok with The Reclining Buddha
Lumpini Park for obligatory photos/videos of 6’ monitor lizards coming out of the pond
Jodd Fairs Night Market. A pleasant area for quick food and booze at night

Bangkok street food is pretty safe, but alcohol is surprisingly difficult to buy outside of bars/restaurants at certain hours

Skip the Floating Market and Rail Market, they’re dives

7 Likes

Mostly Bangkok. HCM City from a Thursday morning thru a Friday night. Cu Chi will be Friday morning and early afternoon. Mostly I’d planned to walk as far and wide as possible there. See the former US Embassy site. Visit a war museum and memorial.

Definitely on my list

Lumpini Park

My friend lives just off the park, so this is an easy one.

Jodd Fairs Night Market. A pleasant area for quick food and booze at night

Ah, good. It’s now on the list.

5 Likes

There are many cheap trains and buses, etc. that can have you in Ayutthaya in around an hour. Ayutthaya is definitely worth it for the history lover, as it was the old capital for hundreds of years and has ruins that you can explore (not as spectacular as the ruins at Angkor Wat, but in the same vein).

Once in Ayutthaya, you can rent a taxi to drive you around to points of interest for shockingly little money, or you can rent a bicycle. I recommend the latter. It is perfectly doable as a day trip and a nice respite from the chaos of Bangkok.

7 Likes

Our long Europe trip is about at the halfway mark. We just got to La Rochelle, north of Bordeaux, France, yesterday and will be here until Saturday.
I’ve already gotten myself a nice hunk of Roquefort cheese, as I’ve never been closer to the area of origin. For my boat ride (still trying to do one in every place we stay) I’m thinking a harbor cruise to the nearby islands. But weather is going to be pretty dreary the whole time we’re here - overcast, rainy and chilly every day. Un vrai probleme des premier monde (if I may butcher some french!).
Anyone else have any recommendations of things we should definitely try while in the area?

Next stop is St. Malo for our last week and catching a ferry up to the UK. If anyone has any recommendations for that region, please send my way!

14 Likes