BBS Trip Advisor

Oh, no, MY BOSS didn’t realize the brakes were out!

10 Likes

Since your phone is unlocked then get a sim and make sure to select a prepaid plan that includes international internet access.
Some plans include international calls but not internet access, and most do not have any international access so make sure to select carefully.

But this is probably the cheapest option, when travelling outside of Sweden I usually pay around 15 USD for a 10 Gb / 30 day plan which is fine for me, but you can always choose as needed.

I’ve found most sim cards are free but YMMV depending on the country.

6 Likes

Gotta add that you could get the new SIM, and update your bank app to reflect the new number. Assuming it lets you use a number foreign to your bank’s domicile.

Since it is tomorrow here I could probably have edited my original reply to Wayward and few people would notice.

(Off to Hobbiton today!)

ETA Update. Hobbiton was a lot of fun. Also, I poked further after tonights booking failure - my bank says the 2 Factor has to be a North American number.

2 Likes

Along with all the other recommendations, you might consider switching to GoogleFi for the trip?
I just did a long stint in Southern Europe, and it cost no more than at home.
And definitely if you don’t have it already, get WhatsApp. It’s very popular in Germany for sure, and probably those other places you’re going. So if you’re booking local places, the hosts will likely use it. And if you have WiFi, you can call family back home for free easier than zoom or the other meeting-oriented apps.

10 Likes

Another good free WiFi i’ve been using that was recommended to me is TextNow.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Just booked a food tour in Ho Chi Minh City, and a tour of the Cu Chi tunnels. I’m stoked to see the city, even if it’s only 3 days.

Day one, arrive mid-morning, walk around, then at night the tour itinerary:

Please kindly read through the following schedule below:
#1 Vietnamese pancake (Bánh Xèo)
#2 Vietnamese mini pancake (Bánh Khọt)
#3 Vietnamese sandwich (Bánh Mì)
#4 Grilled banana with sticky rice and coconut milk (Chuối Nếp Nướng)
#5 Spicy beef noodles soup (Bún Bò Huế)
#6 Vietnamese Rice Paper (Bánh phồng nướng)
#7 Iced tea (Trà đá)
#8 Sugar can juice (Nước mía)
The tour itinerary is flexible due to guests’ customization before or in the tour.

Besides, while walking from stop to stop, you will catch the sight of outstanding scenes of night life of Vietnamese people which is busy and lively. You will go through these
#1 Busy traffic
#2 Colorful streets
#3 Hidden food places
#4 Meet & talk to local people
#5 Eat like locals
#6 See the oldest apartment in Ho Chi Minh city

Day two, Cu Chi tunnels til 1pm, then walk around. Find some night spots to watch the city go by.

Day 3, the morning is not set yet, but walk around more, visit a temple or two, and leave in the evening.

12 Likes

Sounds fun! Take some pics for us!

11 Likes

Just a warning: there is the opportunity to go down into a tunnel for a bit, to get a 3-D sense of what people were living through, but they’re sized for Vietnamese 50 years ago who weren’t getting enough food to eat, as opposed to 21st century American men. They’ll tell you if they think you would get stuck, but if you can do it, it’s real history.

12 Likes

Yeah, I’m excited to give it a try. Hopefully it works out.

5 Likes

(Reminds self to breathe evenly…not stuck in a tunnel… go outside and move around freely.)

2 Likes

I’ll be in Deep Ellum tonight, to have a little fun. Any tips? I heard that you need to have $10 – or maybe $15? – ready as a bribe when the policeman comes. I was also informed that I should put the rest of my money in one or both of my shoes. I’m not super clear on the reason for the shoes, but I think it has something to do with the women of Deep Ellum.

6 Likes

You can also put the money in your pants or socks. Outcomes vary.

3 Likes

BTW I was sitting at the hotel bar after my friend’s memorial in Frisco, TX when the TV lit up with news from only five miles from my location. Jeez

4 Likes

It’s Ms. Shiv that I’m a little worried about. Something seems… different about her since she went down to Deep Ellum.

5 Likes

She ain’t what she used to be?

4 Likes

Headed to Burlington, VT at the end of the week. We’ll have limited time but…

If you know of a hidden gem, please let me know. Bonus points awarded for amazing food that vegetarians can eat, places of great joy or beauty or magic. Y’know, a place a Happy Mutant created or made better.

Please: nothing touristy.

ETA: punctuation

6 Likes

The whole place is so pretty, you’ll love it.
Note the bus stops in the city. The city worked with the local timberframers’ guild to get them built. There are lots of little things like that around if you keep an eye out, where you can see the city appreciates it’s artisans.
And you’re so lucky, you’ll be there for their first farmers’ market of the season, next Saturday.

8 Likes

You are right. And yes, I love it. Even in winter.

This will be our last visit for a while. Been visiting a few times a year for four years because our college kid is up there. I do love Burlington, and love camping here:

https://www.vtstateparks.com/grandisle.html

and I love independent, not overly commercialized “make your own fun” aspect of Burlington, which is or was one of the things that I love(d) about Austin (Texas). Murals. Music. Food. Friendly people.

Definitely–and I love that.

The two cities have this in common as well–very steep costs for real estate (buying and renting). The per-square-foot rates are pretty similar.

My partner the ice cream freak will likely have us stopping by the Ben and Jerry’s on Church Street, and hopefully that will be the most touristy thing we do.

ETA: typos

8 Likes

We were there in February. I liked this one area that had non-touristy artisans, and a cool wine bar/restaurant next door. Very friendly people in there. (I just wanted to buy a corkscrew, but they were still chatty and helpful.)

Near 430-372 Pine St, Burlington, VT 05401, south of the Farmers Market:

5 Likes