BBS Trip Advisor

Your mention of hot springs reminded me, I didn’t track down the specific one, but I recall at least a couple of these Earthship rentals are within walking distance of natural hot springs.
https://www.earthshipglobal.com/eco-nightly-rentals
Might be fun.

5 Likes

These look amazing! Definitely looking into the Earthships

4 Likes

Carlsbad Caverns is on my bucket list for sure, but it’s in the opposite direction, so not on this trip! I didn’t realize how close it is to the Guadalupe Mtns in Texas. Could be a good addition to a future Big Bend road trip.

5 Likes

Dear Brother did some of his early grad work as director of the archeological dig at Chaco. (that was back in the 90s)
that is a fascinating site. IMO, moreso than Mesa Verde.

10 Likes

I’m heading to San Diego today. How is public transportation there? Maybe @knoxblox knows?

7 Likes

Which part of SD?

4 Likes

Staying in the Gaslamp area and hoping to use public transportation where possible. I have one day-trip to Escondido that i’ll likely uber to.

6 Likes

Yeah - the trolley line from Old Town all the way along the bayshore down to San Ysidro is pretty easy to use, but as soon as you wander off that corridor, as a tourist it’s much more difficult.

5 Likes

As @DukeTrout notes right above, from downtown the Trolley goes to a lot of places. Outside of that can be difficult. An Uber to Escondido won’t be cheap, but Stone Brewing is out there.

https://www.stonebrewing.com/visit/bistros/escondido

7 Likes

The sole reason for my day trip :smiley:

5 Likes

We’ll expect to see pictures, natch!

7 Likes

There’s been a bus driver strike going on for more than a month, but SD MTS has been filling in with other drivers. Still, it looks like a 2-hour trip from say…Petco Park up to Escondido with one transfer when you hit Escondido per Google Maps. It would take longer if you tried to use Amtrak, I think.

Silicon Valley Smile GIF

9 Likes

It really is a gorgeous setup. @knoxblox I ended up getting a rental car for this day-trip and was able to cash in points to get it for next to nothing. Been doing fine so far using rent-a-bikes

14 Likes

Wonderful! That place is amazing! Glad you made it.

7 Likes

Good for you! That would have been a brutal trip by bus, I would think.

7 Likes

Hey, all. I’m on a big train trip across the country, using the Amtrak US Rail Pass. If anyone has any questions about how it works, etc., let me know.

I haven’t been keeping up, but we went Maine > Boston > Chicago > Minneapolis > Chicago > Grand Junction, then drove down to Telluride where I am now.

Some views of the latest couple days:
From the train in CO -

From the gondola up the mountain in Telluride (it’s free public transportation here!

From registration this morning:

20 Likes

Spectacular. Amazing.

10 Likes

Beautiful!

8 Likes

Excellent. We’ve got an Amtrak trip to DC booked for next spring…

9 Likes

Love Telluride. Been there three times for the big film festival. Was almost stepped on by Ai Weiwei there.

6 Likes