BBS Trip Advisor

They’re right about Florida, though. The no-see-ums are the worst.

But when it comes to a mess, there’s always love bugs!

7 Likes

i hate lovebug season!
luckily, we don’t get them here in the Keys.
we do have mozzies, of course. and recent outbreak of malaria, in addition to the cluster of dengue fever in Key Largo a couple of years ago.
fuck mozzies!

10 Likes

Bugs Insect GIF

4 Likes

That list is total baloneyshit. Michigan and Minnesota both have 'squitos as unofficial state birds (as you noted!). The parts of Wisconsin I’ve spent the most time in have tons of water bodies with the expected 'squito count that comes with. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Have you ever been to this place?

I went in 2005 as part of learning about vernacular architecture. It was great. If you’re interested in that kind of thing, totally worth a visit!

8 Likes

I have not been there, but my change of jobs means relocating to the Tokyo area in the near future, so I am drawing up a list of museums to visit and I will definitely include this. I’ve been to Tokyo many times, but I’ve never actually lived near enough to really take in what the city has to offer. I am looking forward to it! I will be sure to report on off-the-beaten track sites in and around Tokyo once I’m settled.

4 Likes

Anyone got suggestions for a few days in around Vaasa in Finland? We will mainly be doing some walking, I think a lake is involved and perhaps some painting but if there is something we really should see I’d love to hear it.

I believe Käärijä is playing when we are there but I’m not sure I’d be up for that (banger though the song is!) I’m going to Azymuth in an old cinema tonight which is more my speed.

6 Likes

https://wasagraffitilandia.fi/en/frontpage/

4 Likes

One of my kids just asked me for spray paint as we were out in the local park and, half hidden, there was some discriminatory graffiti sprayed there. She said she’d have a design first but could she cover over it with something better?

I can’t think of better use of her mad skilz personally. I’ll check that out thanks!
ETA
I’ll arrive on the 31st July so I’ll miss that.

7 Likes
7 Likes

I’d probably face some troubles…

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

15 Likes

Yeah. Hard to fathom. I’m a tall woman with large-ish feet, and when I was traveling in Japan I couldn’t even find shoes in stores that would fit. I’m skeptical they’d have anything in their rental program that would fit.
Even the clothes…at 5’10” and 130 lbs, I was an xxl when shopping for underwear.

7 Likes

Not to mention hygiene. I hope they clean these clothes well…

5 Likes

Japan would clean them well, no question, so at least that part’s OK.

13 Likes

Dear USA mutants, any recommendations for the greater Four Corners area?

We’re going back to Lake Powell (the Utah end) in late September, but because of a conference we’ll be flying to and from Albuquerque and renting a car. No camping gear. We have four days to get from ABQ to Bullfrog Marina (near Arches NP) and then two days to get back. I’m thinking ABQ → Santa Fe / Chimayo / Taos area → Great Sand Dunes then across through Durango and Cortez. I’m not sure we’ll have enough time to see Mesa Verde properly. Maybe we skip the dunes?

On the way back, we’ll probably take the southern route through NE Arizona (Monument Valley, etc.). Anyone been to Gallup? There doesn’t look like much by way of lodgings in the Navajo Nation.

5 Likes

If you’re lucky enough to be passing through on a Saturday or Tuesday, definitely check out the Santa Fe farmer’s market.

8 Likes

Carlsbad Caverns is truly awe-inspiring, though probably a bit out of your way.

8 Likes

I haven’t been here myself - perhaps it’s already on the agenda?

6 Likes

We’re definitely into this sort of thing. A couple other spots I’ve pinned in the general area include Hovenweep, Canyon de Chelley, Aztec Ruins, Bandalier.

I’m also into hot springs :hotsprings: (both natural and municipal/commercial), and there are lots in the N New Mexico / SW Colorado area.

6 Likes