BBS Trip Advisor

The line of day, somewhere off the Canadian Maritimes

Flying in to Copenhagen, then headed to Stockholm. Airfare is weird, was able to find a business class fare to Copenhagen for less than EconomyPlus to Stockholm, even with the added train fare.

ETA this might be a strategic failure in planning though because neither Kiddo nor I are sleeping on this flight because our body clocks are on Central Time (US). We’ll be landing shortly after our “normal” bedtime. So the tiredness and related grouchiness will hit while navigating the train portion.

13 Likes

Me, too!
Then I checked who’d posted and thought, “no, that can’t be @wayward…” then the continent clicked.

5 Likes

Any suggestions for Gothenburg, Sweden?

4 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

https://archive.ph/IsRz9

5 Likes

Just looked at Googly Map and see traffic is not all that bad around the spot.

Yet.

4 Likes

Check tomorrow morning. Hoooo boy!

Hey that looks to be right by Four Seasons landscaping. Coincidence???

Yes. A coincidence

10 Likes

That will buff out before rush hour!

4 Likes

This was clearly fake. A fire couldn’t have melted those support beams. S/

12 Likes

Hmmm. Time to get a permit for a breakfast burrito and coffee stand? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes
1 Like

Huis Ten Bosch is a theme park in Sasebo (Nagasaki Prefecture) that is modeled on the Netherlands. There is actually a really good reason why it is Dutch themed. During over two centuries of national isolation, the Tokugawa Shogunate only allowed Chinese and Dutch traders to trade with Japan, and only at a special port built for that purpose in Nagasaki. The Dutch were allowed because, unlike other European visitors, they never tried to convert the locals to Christianity, which was strictly forbidden by the Shogunate. Japan kept up with what was going on with the world through these Dutch traders from the early 17th until the mid 19th centuries, and when Japan reopened to the west in the 1850s, Japanese scholars were shocked to find that the foreigners coming to trade with Japan did not speak Dutch.

I’ve never been to the Netherlands, so I can’t speak to its authenticity, but it made for a good day.

15 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

2 Likes

Wow. They are so incredibly wrong about Michigan!

6 Likes

Literally was typing the same, and saw your post!

Let’s see what @IronEdithKidd says, but I’m with you: Michigan is one of the states that makes jokes about mosquitoes being the official state bird.

And Wisconsin is 9th best, and Minnesota isn’t anywhere on the worst list? Yeah, this is nonsense!

5 Likes

Those criteria seem to miss vegetation density and still surface water availability. Michigan and Minnesota both have loads of woods and water for mosquito breeding and sanctuary.

6 Likes

Forget mosquitoes, here in Michigan it’s fish fly (mayfly) season. The hatch is so big some nights they show up on doppler radar.

You can do donuts on them under street lights, 24 hour gas stations will be covered with so many you can’t even see the pumps.

Last year we went out at night and I forgot to shut off our motion sensor security light, a swarm of them buggers triggered it and it never went off. We couldn’t get in the front door.

This time of year most streets are completely black at night because no one will turn on thier lights. Our street light on the city pole even has a switch to turn it off. It was put in special.

It’s nothing to sweep up garbage buckets full in the morning.

2 Likes