BBS Trip Advisor

Temple structures in Ayutthaya.

Buddha head in the tree roots, peering out.

20 Likes

Yes, @Doctor_Faustus , I do sail, just barely, but didn’t on this trip. Mostly I just love being on the ocean, and these places were all on the way to where we needed to get to in England.
In Hendaye it was a blast watching all the surfers from our balcony, and the sailboats, and in La Rochelle, the sailing and windsurfing classes each day were pretty entertaining to see.

13 Likes

I am going to Central Vietnam in August (Da Nang, Hoi An).

Has anyone been to Hue?
-Is there anything there for military history buffs considering it was a major battlefield back in the day?

4 Likes

I’ve just gotten here this morning. Here what a local guy recommended for Hue.

8 Likes

Shaun The Sheep Movie Ok GIF

6 Likes

I’m thinking of driving cross country- west to east- what do people think the best route is. For leisure driving- not speed. Looking at September.

Has anyone driven the Northern route 20? Thinking of Seattle to Michigan & then head to Pennsylvania.

Considerations include beauty of the drive. Interesting stops. Solo traveler safety.

7 Likes

If you’re taking Route 20 Galena IL is a nice spot to visit. Old mining town turned touristy, but still pleasant.

Yellowstone of course.

If you head up into Michigan then the town of Holland is nice enough.

6 Likes

Here are some ideas:

We have this book right now, for opposite direction planning :wink:

9 Likes

Thanks. I ordered a copy.

6 Likes

Thanks. I’m all about the unhurried, smaller town and no stress for this. Unless I make a detour to visit family etc.

7 Likes

Then it’s hurried and stressful?

7 Likes

You’ve met them?

7 Likes

I hope you find it helpful!
It’s a fun daydream for us. Given that the length of the trip means we need to be able to work along the way, I’m starting to lean toward doing the Amtrak USA pass. 10 segments over 30 days for $500 each can get us everywhere we want to go (with one car rental in CO) and makes it easier to get a work day in here and there.
Either way, I’m all in on the overland (or water) travel.

9 Likes

i was going to say…
if it were my family, stressful yes very much. hurried would be me trying to get out!
p.s. they’re in texass. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Totally agree with all these suggestions.

When my daughter and her then-boyfriend drove the opposite way from Chicago, they found South Dakota so worrisome that they ended up driving all night to get through it, after stopping multiple places and getting squicked out. To be fair, it was during Covid ‘lockdown’ (no such thing in places like SD) AND it was the weekend of the Sturgis Bike Rally that year. However, they went out of their way to go through SD because they thought they were going to visit Mt Rushmore…US 20 itself skirts the top of Nebraska rather than ever going into SD, I believe.

If you really do drive Route 20, you will have to stop and see me in Indiana. My dad’s home was literally on 20, but now I’m maybe 30 minutes from it and would be happy to meet you for a rest stop/meal.

11 Likes

Crap photo but current condition:

14 Likes

I didn’t notice the frame/bezel at first, and thought, “What? A heads up display?”

8 Likes

I just got back! If you want brewery recommendations I know a few :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I grew up along 20 in NY, just south of Buffalo, and now live near enough to there in NW PA. If you’re coming through in September you’ll miss the White Turkey, a popular local roadside burger stand famous for their turkey sandwiches and home-made root beer floats.

6 Likes

hehe! i looked at that and at first thought the whole of Northern Africa was a big bushy beard on the photographer in the reflection! surprise! it is not duck dynasty, it is the Sahara and you are going to Copenhagen! :confetti_ball:

13 Likes