BBS Trip Advisor

:thinking: Well, I tend to treat stories about murders as cautionary tales full of suggestions for avoiding a similar fate, as well as options for escape. :woman_shrugging:t4: Unfortunately, historical dramas tend to focus on poison…

Lisa Kudrow Drinking GIF by The Comeback HBO

7 Likes
5 Likes

I have a trip coming up to Sweden. I will be solidly booked with the reason for the trip, but if there’s anyone who lives there or has a “you must see this” suggestion, please PM me. Thanks!

13 Likes

Moral quandary here: should I visit the British Museum to see the treasures there or stay away in light of how they got there?

• Go for it.
  • No, it’s not worth the imperialism.
0 voters
6 Likes

Go, make a point of (somewhat loudly) talking about the issue with your group so others can hear, and be sure all of you post your concerns in the suggestion box before leaving.

11 Likes

And keep asking for directions to the exhibit on the government’s efforts to return stolen artifacts and repair the damage it has caused around the world.

15 Likes

It’s definitely worth it, even just for the building and the British finds (Sutton Hoo, The Battersea shield, etc.). The BM is an experience in itself.

Just remember that a museum is made up of people, who themselves might not agree with what their institution might do. I talked to a curator from the BM only yesterday, and let’s just say they have strong opinions on topics like repatriation (or Brexit for that matter).

The same goes for the V&A and Natural History Museum.

Also, isn’t the Roman army exhibit on at the moment? That collects some interesting finds from what I hear. Just remember that the special exhibitions do charge an entry fee and you might have to pre-book a slot to avoid the queues.

11 Likes

Well, my hike from Munich to Verona has been postponed, again. Last September I only made it to Brenner when I had to return to take care of a sick girlfriend. This year, I may skip the bit I already did and start in Innsbruck, as two weeks of hiking is going to be a lot anyways. But at least I have the experience now, know what to pack and what to leave behind. And know enough to book in advance when I can, as the scramble to find a hotel room after overshooting my goal ended up costing more than I had hoped.

Besides, the main bit is going to be after I get south of Bozen/Bolzano, where the dominant language switches from German to Italian. I spent the last year learning Italian for that bit.

But it’s a beautiful route, even if I have to endure having the Brenner Autobahn in view for a few days.

16 Likes
9 Likes

You owe it to yourself to visit a major landmark in London without you having to take money out of your pocket to walk around inside. I took my family there, and they all really benefited from seeing the legacy of ancient civilizations, while I instructed them on the fact that many of those artifacts truly belong somewhere else.

9 Likes

I made my reservation online and specifically did not sign up for any extras, so I received a bill for zero pounds alongside my ticket. I’m not planning on picking anything up at the gift shop, and the prices at the onsite restaurants just gave me a good chuckle.

Really looking forward to it!

8 Likes
15 Likes

That’s good news!

On our recent return from Puerto Rico, we realized we were unlikely to make our connection in CLT, so I preemptively changed our 2nd leg to the following morning. I was pleasantly surprised to get a pretty big credit from American – way more than enough to cover the hotel. If I’d waited until the airline reassigned us, we’d maybe get a measly voucher.

If you’re stuck in Charlotte for the night, I highly recommend Miguel’s Mexican restaurant by the Windham airport hotel. :star::star::star::star::star:

11 Likes

To cut costs, Southwest said, it will cease operations at four airports from early August: Bellingham International Airport in Washington State, Cozumel International Airport, George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston and Syracuse Hancock International Airport.

5 Likes

Have a 2-3 days after leaving Cartagena, Colombia this fall. Which would be better, Stop in Belize or stop in Panama? (We assumed this would be too short to hit Costa Rica and spending a couple days in the Caribbean would require flying to Miami and then to the islands.) What says you, BBS?

3 Likes

Out of those two I’d vote for Belize. Not just for the nature/ocean activities, but also because there’s less of a trek from any airport to wherever you want to go.

5 Likes

i don’t know… that airport is quite a ways out of Belize City (or anywhere else in country), a car would need to be rented. when i would stay in Belize, i would rent a car at the airport and drive north about an hour to Corazal Town. it is on a bay with Ambergris Cay across the water. very nice area with water activity and Mayan ruins to visit and hike. Belize City is ok, about 20 minutes drive south of the airport, but it is just ok. stayed there a few times and, meh. plenty to do, i suppose, but not as nice as the countryside.
$0.02

8 Likes

I was assuming NOT city activities, so your suggestion of Ambergris Cay sounds perfect to me.

5 Likes

Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater is a Pa. tourist attraction, but you can actually spend the night at Lynn Hall

https://archive.ph/rSpLH

5 Likes

I think you would get the best for your time if you go to Panama instead of Belize. It’s much closer to Cartagena, so if you only have a couple days, the shorter travel time will gain you much more.

Belize is worth visiting for sure. (I haven’t been to Panama, but it’s on the list.) If you end up going there, a good low-key 2-day visit might involve a water taxi to Cay Caulker. You can do that from the airport without renting a car. Belize City itself, not much to see, as Jefe says.

3 Likes