BBS Trip Advisor

oh, good. i didn’t want to offend by offering my humble opinion that is:
pressed Cubano > cheesesteak.
YMMV, of course!

8 Likes

:thinking: Ok, now I’m curious about the best places to test this theory…

Hungry Disney Channel GIF

7 Likes

Politically speaking, I agree more with Philly folks than right-leaning Cubans, so I’ll take a (vegetarian) Philly cheesesteak over a Cubano for solidarity purposes alone!

8 Likes

without a doubt, The Columbia in Tampa! (it’s my favorite, anyway), 5Brothers in KW makes a good one that i have enjoyed, as well. gotta stick to the basics and no more - ham, lechon, cheese, mustard, pickles - pressed on a Cuban roll.

edit to add: the Cubanos i have had in Havana were terribly disappointing! (also, i have never had a more disgusting mojito than in la vieja Habana!)

8 Likes

7 Likes

so true.
BTW, as you know my Dear Brother lives in Philly for, like, the last 30 years. my times there, of course included grabbing a cheesesteak downtown. i like one with jalapenos. still a meh from me. we even have a Cuban sandwich joint less than half a mile from me that serves a “Cuban cheesesteak” which, IMO, is just what i remember from the flattop offerings from the greasy joints up that-a-way.

you have a favorite Cubano sandwich?
there is one more, less traditional take on the Cubano that i really, really like: Key Largo Fisheries Backyard Grill’s “Mahi Cubano”. all the traditional ingredients, plus a grilled, blackened mahi-mahi filet! try it with an Islamorada Ale, next time you make it to the way-way south!

7 Likes

Do you like wind surfing or watching wind surfing? Do you like great tacos and beer? Well then I’d recommend an afternooon at Numero Uno Beach Hotel & Restaurant over on Condado Beach (18.454456701209814, -66.05519262189931). Bonus: the place attracts a very interesting crowd of hedonists.

Speaking of beer:

Try some Ocean Lab beer. You can’t get it in the states. :angry:

A nice day adventure is to go to El Yunque National Forest. Warning: Before hurricaine Maria you could drive up near the top but now you have to walk a fair amount. Part of the trail is a ballbuster but the view from up top is worth it. there is a great little rest stop on the way that serves Ocean Lab and has some yummy snacks. :+1:

6 Likes

Ya got this comment in just in time – we’re leaving tomorrow morning.

Numero Uno Beach Hotel is less than a mile from where we’re staying. I’ll put a pin on it.

Thanks also for the breweries recc. And we’re already planning on visiting El Yunque for a day.

On one day we’re going to try to get an early start and drive about half of the Ruta Panoramica.

8 Likes

Look what just got posted

7 Likes

could you still call ot a cheesesteak?

“not today, seitan!”

10 Likes

:beers:

11 Likes

Now I’m thirsty!

5 Likes

Whose hand is back behind you?

7 Likes
4 Likes

At the end of June, my wife and I will be in Aix en Provence for 3 days, 2 nights. We’ll have access to a car. What should we do? TIA

6 Likes

Some people use the town as a jumping-off point to explore Marseille, or make road trips to Èze, Nice, or Monaco. Each of those destinations can consume a whole day, though. There’s lots to see in the town itself, and a car would be useful to see the lavender fields and la montagne Saint-Victoire for a picnic. I’m not into hiking, but it’s a popular option:

Here are some interesting local attractions: le Cours Mirabeau, le Musée Granet, et l’Atelier de Cézanne could be viewed in a single day. For more art and architecture, there’s la place de l’hôtel de ville, la cathédrale Saint-Sauveur, et la fondation Vasarely. Of course, all those are made better with fantastic :cheese: :wine_glass: :croissant: :shallow_pan_of_food:.

Out Of Office Dance GIF by GIPHY Studios 2021

16 Likes

There’s a fun novel (contemporary semi-historical fantasy) by Guy Gavriel Kay that is set in Aix and the surrounding area that covers real historical locations dating back to when the area was populated by Celtic tribes.

It could be a fun way to read up on otherwise little-known sites if you have time.

11 Likes

My partner and I had a really lovely meal in Aix en Provence at Gallifet, an art gallery and restaurant. The food was delicious and the setting was magical. There are also lots of little hilltop towns in Provence with amazing views, so it’s worth taking a drive.

9 Likes

@DukeTrout’s recommendation reminded me of this:

It’s a really fun way to learn a bit about a location either before or during a visit.

13 Likes

The only option for the South Side of Chicago (as opposed to Chicago, which had many lovely choices) was “Saving Ruby King”, which starts with the murder of her mother, so maybe not always the best suggestion!

6 Likes