BBS Trip Advisor

No. But I probably mentioned it in the planning stages.

3 Likes

I’ll suggest at least two nights in London, two nights in Paris and then one night in Strasbourg. It’s my other favorite city in France that you can reasonably see in 24 hours and it has a very distinct mixture of French and German character. Then you could make your way up to Cologne for one night before heading back to Brussels. If you find that you can add an additional day, stay one more day in Cologne. I haven’t been there yet, but it’s definitely on my list.

6 Likes

Koeln is awesome! It’s the home of Kolsch-style beer, which is very unique. Good suggestion!

4 Likes

Thank you for all of your advice!

I am now leaning toward shaving a night off either London or Paris and taking advantage of a sleeper train to Berlin or taking a fast train to Cologne the day before my return flight. It would be a shame not to go to Germany at all after traveling so far.

I am also thinking of other destinations for day trips in the UK and France. I might fly from London to Lyon or Marseille and then head up to Paris from there. Or I might take a ferry to Calais and go through Lille. If I can piece together two-hour, one-way trips in between destinations, that would be perfect.

3 Likes

Traveling by train between cities in Europe is always the better option. Train stations are in the center of town; airports are far, far away in the countryside, having been built hundreds if not a thousand years after the central buildings.

5 Likes

Thank you all for your input! I have more or less decided on the following whirlwind itinerary.

I will arrive in Brussels Friday afternoon and head straight to Brussels-Midi for the Eurostar to St. Pancras in London that evening. (Don’t worry, I left myself four hours to get on the train.)

I will leave London for Paris on the last Eurostar train Sunday night, arriving after 11pm and staying near Paris du Nord that night.

I will leave Paris for Cologne on Wednesday afternoon and spend the night in the area around the Fish Market.

Lastly, I will leave Cologne for Brussels-Midi Thursday evening, arriving after dark. I am sorry to be spending so little time in Brussels, so I at least got a hotel as close to the Grand Place as possible.

I decided to shave a night from London but not Paris because I really would be remiss if I did not also do a day-trip to Versailles. I booked cheap hostels for my first night in both London and Paris in case things go wrong or plans change. Really looking forward to wandering aimlessly around these cities while hitting a few of the must-see sights (unless there’s a long queue to get in, because fuck that).

6 Likes
6 Likes

https://archive.ph/i8AsY

Should be epic

4 Likes

Heading to Seoul for a few days next week. Will have one free day. Any suggestions?

8 Likes

get some Seoul food?
[ducking… running]

14 Likes

If you’ve been to Seoul before and already seen the spectacular Gyeongbokgung and Changdeokgung palaces and Jongmyo shrine, then it might be worth a day trip to Suwon to see Hwaseong fortress. Though I wouldn’t go to Suwon if you haven’t seen the above in central Seoul yet.

If you happen to be there on a Saturday, be sure to check out the area around City Hall, where you’re sure to see a huge political demonstration of some sort. For souvenirs, Insadong (also near City Hall) has more of a low-key feel of the old city compared to Myeongdong (which is practically a tourist trap at this point) and Dongdaemun (which is great if you’re looking for textiles).

7 Likes

I’m staying in Central Seoul. First time in the country. I’m going to have around 10 hours free on Friday. Looks like the first of the palaces is an hour by bus so should be doable. Thanks!

9 Likes

Yosemite closing for several days due to ‘major winter storm’

https://www.sfgate.com/california-parks/article/yosemite-closes-february-sierra-storm-18696976.php

IMG_3016

7 Likes
5 Likes

The miz and I will be in San Juan, PR for about 5 days later this month. We’ve never been to the territory. We’ll have a rental car, and want to do a couple day trips outside of San Juan, as well as sightseeing in the city. Any suggestions? Interested in culture, food, history, wildlife/nature, art, music. (We’ll be on Vieques later to get our fill of beach life.)

4 Likes

“Unexpected passenger in screening area!”

6 Likes

https://archive.ph/mjDV2

8 Likes

What do you think of these vegan options?

5 Likes

I can’t help you there- I almost never eat any kind of cheesesteak.

But Hip City Veg is considered one of the best veg restaurants in the country. And as a whole the veg food here is considered great.

6 Likes

Thanks. My formerly-Philly girl would love to move back, and she’d need to know where to take her vegan sister.

5 Likes