Beat poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti (RIP) reads a poem about his dog

Originally published at: Beat poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti (RIP) reads a poem about his dog | Boing Boing

4 Likes

sigh So lovely. This guy…

5 Likes

101, damn. He knew how to run a book store.

8 Likes

I worked the North Beach cafe/restaurant/bar scene for 10 years [mid 80’s-90’s] City Lights saved my life, daily, weekly, and with out a shadow of a doubt the single reason I kept my cheese from sliding off my cracker. I hid in the basement, reading odds from the stacks, I drifted away from the insanity of the life I created to one that I wish I had. As the Sun set, I carried myself street-side to
the belly that needed pasta, needed drink, needed … What a sanctuary for my weary mind & soul.

10 Likes

Here’s the poem written out:

7 Likes

Missed you by a decade. As the tourist ticky-tacky slowly consumed Columbus (I mean it was always there, but) it certainly benefitted but didn’t change. It usually benefitted from me after inadvisable day drinking at Vesuvio’s.

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Beat poet and City Lights Books founder Lawrence Ferlinghetti dead at 101

Haha I have been in those basement stacks, just once, but the memory is even better knowing now that Papasan had been there before! :smiley:

8 Likes

I am waiting
to get some intimations
of immortality
by recollecting my early childhood
and I am waiting
for the green mornings to come again
youth’s dumb green fields come back again
and I am waiting
for some strains of unpremeditated art
to shake my typewriter
and I am waiting to write
the great indelible poem
and I am waiting
for the last long careless rapture
and I am perpetually waiting
for the fleeing lovers on the Grecian Urn
to catch each other up at last
and embrace
and I am waiting
perpetually and forever
a renaissance of wonder

Lawrence Ferlinghetti (1919-2021)

7 Likes

To see what those eyes have seen!

5 Likes

I like the guy coming with the pallets at end.

2 Likes

‘A Cony Island of the Mind’ was the book both my father and my mother claimed as a favorite, so I picked it up when I was about ten. It blew my mind, and through force of wanting to understand my parents - became my favorite and shaped my life.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.