Beautiful sculptures made entirely of store-bought nails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/09/beautiful-sculptures-made-enti-2.html

7 Likes

I was really hoping that this old man was making art using store-bought Lee Press On nails.

I mean, the title of this is kind of misleading- what kind of metal nails are usually not store bought? Store bought implies that the he didn’t grow the nails himself.

1 Like

For nearly three decades, John Bisbee has welded and forged 12-inch spikes under the mantra, “Only nails, always different.”

I feel compelled to emphasize: this is the entire bio.

Having plowed my way through more than enough artist’s statements and art theory drivel, I bow to this person’s humility and directness.

Not dismissing those artists who convey having a goal or vision. I’ve read good examples of those, too. I just feel that the more process-oriented creators these days feel pressure from art-speak to graft some kind of mission statement on their bio. It’s refreshing to encounter such an artist who shrugs that off. Some of us do what we do because we like doing it and that’s enough.

10 Likes

John was a grad student when I was a freshman and despite being revered as basically an art school God, he was generous and kind and encouraged me to figure out what exactly it is that I wanted to do. And he played harmonica through a Marshall half stack until his mouth bled. What a nice surprise to see him here:slight_smile:

11 Likes

12" nails may be store-bought, but they are not that common

1 Like

“My work rises from my heartfelt Buddha nature, and the need to reach into the deep well of universal consciousness, to express our diversity and the intense desire for unity, connection, and wholeness within us.”

Art-Speak-y enough for you?

… store-bought nails…

Is he made of gold? Never pay retail!

3 Likes

3 words.

Fab u lous

Wonderful works.

Jason Mecier might be more to your liking, then:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.