Beautiful Seymchan pallasite meteorite

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/04/beautiful-seymchan-pallasite-m.html

3 Likes

Very beautiful. Striking. We are all stardust!

7 Likes

Can’t fool me. That’s one of them expensive chocolates.

7 Likes

For a while, I had a posting up called “Pallasite Lust” where I listed all the pallasites I hoped to get samples of. One of my personal milestones was fulfilled when I procured a nice thin slice of Esquel, credit card sized. I’m still looking for some of the harder to find pallasites. They are beautiful when nicely prepared, like stained glass windows.

3 Likes

eta: Esquel, but not mine :frowning:

9 Likes

Kinda looks like turkish delight.

2 Likes

I know what it reminds me of, and I don’t want to be around when they come looking for the bit that fell off…

10 Likes

9 Likes

I first read that as parasite meteorite . . . the mind works(?) in mysterious ways.

3 Likes

Kind of reminds me of a candy my mother liked. It was soft and white with gumdroppy inclusions, and I could swear she called it “ambrosia,” but a diligent 2-minute search tells me there is no such thing. I am sure I didn’t dream it. Does anybody have any idea what this was?

1 Like

If you try to bite into a pallasite, unless you are the Iron Giant, you’ll be sorry!

1 Like

I remember that; it used to be available in the bad old days when there was a Brach’s Candy Shoppe with multiple tubs of candies in many grocery stores, $1.99 per pound, mix and match. It came in cello-wrapped blocks about the size of your thumb, and I think it was called ‘ambrosia’; my mom used to adore it.
eta: Now they call it ‘jelly nougats’.

3 Likes

Bingo!

They really do look like pallasite.

4 Likes

I have two iron meteorites - but nothing like that… I might just have to look into it.

Ambrosia is right. As I recall it was far from being the food of the gods.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.