Because David Duchovny is Too Handsome to Ever Be a REAL Outsider

Which is why Murder on the Orient Express is so bad (although Finney’s performance didn’t much help either).

What, and spoil the fun? I imagine him sitting in the Oval Office on his first day, opening a manila folder marked “President’s Eyes Only” and having a little chuckle, and saying “Well wouldn’t the public be amused to know that…”

Oh, so that is what they meant by “outsider”… I was taking it in context of hollywood.

I would think FBI social groups wouldn’t be something anyone would much be interested in. Scully would probably experience a lot of hits that were unwanted, and what would Mulder or Scully ever talk about there with anyone.

Even if they could discuss any of their passions, who would be able to believe them.

I do find it interesting to interject looks in terms of giving one an “in” to social acceptance, though, of course, it does. Physically attractive outsiders end up with a mysterious allure about them, as opposed to targets of ‘behind their back’ ridicule.

Re: hotness of DD and GA

I saw them both in person at ComicCon and can confirm that they are both, indeed, BEAUTIFUL.

Also smart.

Also they both seemed really stoned, IMHO.

1 Like

I think that’s the best analysis. You get a strong sense of this through the show. Mulder (and Scully, partly because of how she’s changed by knowing Mulder but not just because of that) are strong outsiders within the FBI, but that doesn’t say anything about what they’d be like elsewhere. In fact you do get glimpses of Scully being “normal” in several cases.

Throughout the series, we see lots and lots of people who are really drawn to Mulder in particular. He’s very likable! And he knows how to talk to people - especially outsiders, but basically everyone - he expresses genuine interest and is willing to believe anything, so of course people like him.

Not to mention the Lone Gunmen, to whom Mulder is probably the greatest person there is. That obviously doesn’t mean anything to the typical FBI goon who would just see them as a bunch of worthless weirdos, but, it’s something.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s bad. Extremely disappointing. And Finney is just awful. Not a big Poirot fan in general although I liked Peter Ustinov in Death on the Nile; I don’t like him as much in Evil Under the Sun but I do like that film. I haven’t seen the other Ustinov Poirot films.

1 Like

It’s all about Suchet.

1 Like

I had a hard time because the first episode is exceedingly dull. I’ve been meaning to give it another try though since I ran out of Miss Marples.

That’s not true though. That would have been a reasonable ending to the series!

The island and all of its events are entirely real and the result of a millennium-old fight between Good and Evil for the fate of the world, culminating in Evil’s defeat and Hurley becoming the new caretaker of the immortal island. The sideways timeline that was introduced in season 5 is revealed to be a purgatory where all the island people were meeting up with each other after their actual deaths in the proper timeline, because the island was so important they all needed closure on it before going on to the afterlife.

So they not only used the very resolution they spent years denying it was, they did it in a very particular way which let them legitimately deny that it was used and left everyone wondering why the hell it was used at all.

1 Like

Heh. :sunny: :smiley: Well, I would agree, though for me, normal is the lone gunmen sort and Mulder and even Scully (whom I probably especially liked after finding a pic of her pre-X-Files with a mohawk).

Granted, I have only interacted twice in person with anyone from the FBI, once when I was reporting a crime, and another time when I was at a private anti-virus conference. Probably have indirectly interacted with them as surveillance, because I have worked on some counterintelligence issues. Otherwise? Television. Or books. Books, I do get an impression, a lot probably are more insular and introverted. There are areas not as crazy as X-Files, but very much not mainstream.

Yeah, I agree with you on this point too though my initial reply didn’t make that clear. Within the universe of the show (and most TV and movies that depict FBI agents), the average g-man is either dull and without any street sense or an outright goon.

In reality of course it’s very different. Although certainly there’s some truth to it, partly because of the uniform training they get possibly. But there’s less of a uniform type of person than TV depicts, and like you say I bet there are a whole lot of introverted quiet people who are excellent investigators and analysts (if I got recruited I think I’d be decent at that myself).

Although, I’ve met a few FBI and DEA agents myself and most of them were actually a lot like you would expect, heh. But those are the forward-facing people.

I couldn’t find the mohawk picture (though I think I’ve seen it before) but I did find this while searching for it:

1 Like

Yeah. Obviously that picture hits something in my core nervous system. LOL.

Probably doesn’t help I have always had a penchant for psychology, either take a cynical role or side with someone who does, and had a penchant for extra-normal subject matter. :blush:

Yeah.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.