New X-Files, what do you think?

Continuing the discussion from New X-Files episodes:

2 Likes

Feels a lot like the old X-Files.

4 Likes

I like it so far. Cheesy. Overdone. Extra gore, extra scmaltz, and they still have chemistry.

3 Likes

Is it overarching story thread or monster of the week?

I really liked the old MoTW ones, but got really bored of the conspiracy theory missing sister ones after a while.

6 Likes

Hilariously overwrought dialogue in the first episode. On to the next!

5 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more. We watched it last night, and will probably continue watching, just to see whether they can continue in the same vein or what.

3 Likes

I want to believe

5 Likes

I saw the first episode previewed at ComicCon. I went to the X-files event because Iā€™d gone a couple of years ago when both Duchovny and Anderson were on stage together and a) they were really high and b) they really do have chemistry together that is just a joy to watch. Also I got to see one of those event wedding proposals, which was so fun.

The preview was good, but the event lacked the fun of when the two leads were on stage together. I thought they did a good job of updating all the conspiracy theory bits to feel more modern, and I liked that they seemed to be throwing out some of the tedious parts of the story and getting more into the scary monsters again, which I always liked. I hope itā€™s a big success.

3 Likes

As it is a limited run, definitely overarching, but who knows where they will go?

I liked MoTW too.

Sounds like #3 will be MotW.

With all the rebootery going on (hell, the new Star Wars is basically a half-assed way to reboot), I couldnā€™t help but think about what an X Files reboot would look like, and Iā€™m sort of convinced thereā€™s no way to do it. Part of it is that the cultural milieu (yes, I said ā€œcultural milieuā€! suffer!) has changed to the point that I donā€™t think anyone new could possibly get it. Back in the '90s cryptozoology was cool, UFO pictures were fascinating, and conspiracy nuts were harmless cranks with more imagination than sense. But now we have Ammon Bundy/Donald Trump and, well, smartphones.

Settled

So theyā€™d be left chasing sightings from the '80s and talking to violent, fascist, racist assholes. Iā€™d say ā€œNot super compelling TVā€, but in any event Fox News has the market sewn up. And besides, so much of what has come later was made possible by the X-Files that it would frankly feel weirdly bland.

And, truth is, about 50% of the show was the Anderson/Dutch-oven-y chemistry, which you couldnā€™t hope to recast intentionally.

P.S. Anyone here ever watch Kolchak? I only got through about 5 episodes. Fun enough, but Carter clearly took the formula and improved upon it radically. Fringe looked like it could do the same for a few seasons, before seriously going off the rails with all the Chosen One/babby nonsense. Never did bother to see how that all turned out.

3 Likes

I noticed that Henrietta Lax was namedropped with Tuskegee. This offended me.

1 Like

I liked the overarching conspiracy story until it became painfully apparent in the third or fourth season that Chris Carter was desperately making it up as he went along. Itā€™s sheer luck that it was engaging as long as it was. Canā€™t beat their MotW stories though (Eugene Tooms was brilliant).

@Ratel I watched Night Stalker after hearing about how it was an inspiration for the X-Files. Itā€¦hasnā€™t aged well.

2 Likes

So, our MotW was, well, a meditation on MotW. Hell, they all but called out the cartoon I posted above. Iā€™m gonna start calling this series the Meta-X-Files. And itā€™s fun! Very close in spirit to:

2 Likes

Episode 3 is a thing of beauty and proof that genius can still be shoehorned into 45 minutes of TV.

4 Likes

oh good, because I have yet to see that one!

1 Like

New X-Files, what do you think?

The new show that is set twenty years later, after the alien invasion, with, like, former FBI agents, weird conspiracies, people turning on each other, nobody knowing who to trust?

1 Like

Is it any good?

Reminds me of how Downton Abbey is all the rage these days, but it was launched as competition for a reboot of Upstairs, Downstairs which only lasted a couple seasons.

Episode 3 was aimed squarely at the XKCD post, and as well with Mulderā€™s disillusionment which came from the first 2 episodesā€™s new story ark.

MOTW is in full force in ep. 3, and it is fantastically hilarious. Kumail Nanjiani makes a cameo, as well as Rhys Darby of Flight of the Conchords fame.

That said, Iā€™m not super keen on the new story ark (I think itā€™s logically incompatible with everything weā€™ve seen, and the characters have seen). But, ultimately, it doesnā€™t matter much. Really, weā€™re all here for Mulder and Scully, and it delivers on that. Letā€™s not overthink it.

5 Likes

I tried watching the pilot, but every time I saw one of the leads all I could think is ā€œwhy is Sawyer not on the Islandā€ and ā€œCarl shot her in the prison, whatā€™s she doinā€™ here?ā€

I might give it another chance tomorrow if I remember that itā€™s on.

X-files ep. 3, though, totes worth a watch. It was much fun.

4 Likes

Have you watched Eureka? Goofy and funny and the cast is from everywhere, they reboot the show at least twice, and by the end its just a free for all. Chemistry.

2 Likes