"Bechdelgrams" are beautiful illustrations of whether a movie passes the Bechdel test

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding.

Nah, you’re right.

Either way ‘yay interesting visualizations!’

Yay!

2 Likes

The Bechdel Test is not a measure of “taint”.

It’s a rough indication of how women are represented in a film and it gives a rough sense of whether they have lines that aren’t just in service to a male character.

There’s plenty of articles about it, for anyone still missing the point.

20 Likes

When did this thread turn into a taint measuring contest?

16 Likes

Hard to understand why The Hunt For Red October would be considered for the test, since the movie’s plot and period are set when women weren’t allowed to serve on submarines. Next up: the outrage over the lack of women in Glengarry Glen Ross and My Dinner With Andre!

1 Like

Maybe read the room (thread) before you demonstrate your inability to read the room? :roll_eyes:

16 Likes

I probably should have mentioned driving trollies/JAQ, also.

14 Likes

Aayla Secura
Oola
Unnamed Rebel commander in Echo Base
Unnamed women in Mos Eisley Cantina
Unnamed Wookiees
Unnamed Ewoks
Unnamed partner of Jabba the Hutt

Note: I am not suggesting Star Wars passes the test/meets the criteria.

“Named character” means “character whose name was mentioned on screen at some point.”

I’ll take your word for the first two but I have no idea who they were so my previous statement “I can’t even remember a single named female character who wasn’t a relative of Luke Skywalker” still stands.

13 Likes

Partner? JFC.

11 Likes

I didn’t know what else to call it, but it was clearly a counterpart/relative/similar species to Jabba. (not species-ist)

“Unnamed CGI extra of an alien species that doesn’t even have distinct biological sexes” doesn’t really count as female representation IMHO.

14 Likes

Unclear on the concept, I guess.

12 Likes

20 Likes

YES! THANK YOU! I’m going to steal your explanation the next time I have a conversation with some movie-bro about this subject.

8 Likes

this was just two posting before your post…
1h

The Bechdel Test is not a measure of “taint”.

It’s a rough indication of how women are represented in a film and it gives a rough sense of whether they have lines that aren’t just in service to a male character.

There’s plenty of articles about it, for anyone still missing the point.

8 Likes

Okay, fine, if you insist:

Rebel commander in Echo Base: Toryn Farr
Unnamed women in Mos Eisley Cantina: Ackmena, D’Ulin, D’Ukal, Jenny
Unnamed Wookiees: Mallatobuck
Unnamed Ewoks: (I’m too lazy to look them up)
Unnamed partner of Jabba the Hutt: Gardulla the Hutt

1 Like

If a character didn’t get a name until it was time to make them into an action figure/shoehorn them into some Expanded Universe content then they don’t count as a “named character” for the purposes of the movie.

15 Likes

meh_emma_stone

12 Likes

Agreed. What’s the consensus on droid genders?

Until it attracts the attention of the Digital Humanities.

Behind The Mask Of The Bechdel Test: Constructing A Character Network In Alan Moore’s Watchmen

1 Like