"Bechdelgrams" are beautiful illustrations of whether a movie passes the Bechdel test

Except there were plenty of women who served in the Soviet military, in a variety of positions… including in the navy

True, there was a general purging of women in the period after the postwar, but that was never total. Whether or not women served on submarines, I was unable to dig up information on that, but probably doing a google search isn’t going to cut it. You’ll have to go to actual scholarship on women in the Soviet/Eastern Bloc/Yugoslav/Cuban/Chinese military to find actual answers to the question.

Women were in more places than fictionalized accounts often actually portray.

And yes, in some films that are based on historical events, you will get times where there aren’t any women or any men. I’d suggest however, that in reality, there is a lot more crossing over of the genders into supposedly gendered spaces that we realize… and that doesn’t even begin to bring non-binary people into the equation either. Since gender is a social construct, it’s subject to change over time, much like any other social construct. That means how we define gender and what constitutions a gendered space now isn’t necessarily how it was always defined in the past.

But the point of the bechdel test isn’t to give you some sort of neat measuring stick on these issues, it’s a means of better discussing these issues.

20 Likes

And of course during this time in US National Security Positions for those off sub scenes - Jean Kirkpatrick- Condoleeza Rice -

Also

15 Likes

Yeah. In particular, as far as I can tell, the test’s purpose is to point out how little non-romantic roles women get in movies, and it was never meant as a pass/fail criterion if a movie is acceptable. Which, sadly, people are way too often seeing it as.

14 Likes

Exactly. “The Princess Bride” totally fails, but would anybody us say it isn’t a good, fun movie?

15 Likes

Getting back on the actual topic:

Another one that passes:

Kill Bill

Though the Blood-splattered Bride spends two whole films stalking a man, she has lots to say to the other women she encounters… right before she kills or maims them.

24 Likes

Then why did you bring up this unnamed, non-speaking, non-female, utterly unimportant background character (who was honestly more of a “special effect” than a character anyway) to rebut my claim that the first six Star Wars movies lacked any memorable named female characters who weren’t related to Luke Skywalker?

If it uses male pronouns and it goes around sticking its data port into any available socket then it counts as a dude.

22 Likes

To derail the thread, obvi.

Can’t have a post that’s focused on women as multidimensional characters with agency instead of just mere window dressing intended to enhance the stories of the dominant in-group; too much like right.

19 Likes

I don’t know how smart the woman in this video is; but I hope to God that her husband doesn’t fuck up.

5 Likes

Um…

That’s disturbing, and there is no other human being that I trust that much in existence.

To my actual point:

Homer Simpson has Marge.
Peter Griffin has Lois.
Doug Heffernan has Carrie.
Al Bundy has Peggy.
Fred Flintstone has Wilma…

That trope has existed for a long time…

15 Likes

Inconceivable!

3 Likes

I think the sitcom that first established the trope was The Honeymooners with Ralph & Alice Kramden, though I wouldn’t be surprised if it went back even further.

14 Likes

Thanks; I knew I was forgetting a really relevant one.

11 Likes

If two red dots with a red line joining them is too hard for you to find, the most likely reason is that there isn’t one.

2 Likes

A ur twofer:

Oops - too slow on the post!

13 Likes

tumblr_inline_niywavyBgv1qaufm2

19 Likes

25 Likes

Definitely goes earlier. The Honeymooners was '55.

Life of Riley was '49, and it was a long-standing trope on radio before TV sitcoms.

16 Likes

Punch and Judy even?

15 Likes

That’s the way to do it.
Why change a winning formula?

Obviously, they should

14 Likes

Lucille Ball and Eve Arden (and others) mixed it up with woman-centred roles with men whose characters were there mainly to support the women being funny, but they were horribly out-numbered by mostly less funny basic dudes in less funny series.

17 Likes