Bees are now legally fish in the state of California

262166_MAIN.AC_SS300_V1624307575

11 Likes

8454991776e4c38672a78eacb197e1f2

7 Likes

Why wouldn’t they be considered Game? Seems a closer connection than Fish.

2 Likes

But which game? Honey Bee Tree? Bee Simulator? Game of Thrones?

3 Likes

Especially fuzzy bees

1 Like

I don’t doubt it, I am just pointing out that most efforts by most good-willed people are not helping many other pollinators besides the honey bee. And the honey bee, as stated already above, can be compared to specifically bred cattle. Additionally, the domesticated honey bee even isn’t a good pollinator.

My argument is: everyone who is concerned about pollinator loss, insect loss, biodiversity loss really needs to dig a bit deeper than the casual reading of lifestyle gardening magazines to get ideas which do help.

Even in our happy mutant horticulture topic – and I say that without prejudice and without malice, please believe me! – people are talking about applying weed killer to a lawn to get rid of unwanted vegetation.

If the mindset prevails that a lawn has to be like a golfing green, we are lost. And I have lost, personally.

4 Likes

I feel attacked!

6 Likes

I thought this was going to be like that attempt to legislate the value of pi.

1 Like

It’s the pesticides and herbicides that we’re not fond of.

There’s nearly always a lower-impact or organic way to manage unwanted vegetation. I have been eradicating poison ivy at our community’s swimming pool this year with pickling vinegar saturated with table salt.

3 Likes

I know. My back yard remains wild, but I wasnt keen on another fine for my front yard weeds. A combination of a particularly sore back, no helpers, and timing meant I couldnt use my usual manual method this spring. The point I had tried making in my horticulture post was that I was so unused to the chemical process that I had selected a weed & grass killer by accident.

4 Likes

Wow.
I hear you… an easy mistake to make when in strange territory.

Here’s what I use when my back has muscle injury:

https://www.pharmaca.com/medinatura-t-relief-extra-strength-cream-3oz?msclkid=eba2266de22f1416587c44f68badc5b3

https://www.amazon.com/t-relief/s?k=t+relief

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Teals-Epsom-Salt-Eucalyptus/dp/B07H9CJN6J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=12BPL3EC1M2VN&keywords=epsom+salts+for+soaking+for+pain&qid=1654352341&sprefix=epsom+salt%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-6

For bone stuff, it’s a different story. My spine is definitely not as young as it used to be.

2 Likes

I am, in the sense that if we’re trying to decide which government department regulates conservation of whales and dolphins, I’d prefer it to be one that has access to boats and oceanographic data and marine biologists, instead of one that doesn’t. It would make sense for that to be the same department regulates other things living in the ocean. There’s nothing wrong with drawing non-biological word definition boundaries in non-biology contexts, it’s just unfortunate that we use the same English word in both cases.

Conversely, how much do you care about precise botanical terminology in what fruits count as berries?

2 Likes

Mine too.

I care quite a bit if one can obtain nutritional, horticultural or just knowledge on aspects of evolution from it. As far as inclusion/exclusion in fruit salad, not so much.

1 Like

We have loads of bees, and hover flies, and other insects visiting our flowers, no grass, and no pesticides, herbicides, or insecticides (except for organic slug pellets… bastards).

1 Like

And how well does that kill weeds?
:wink:

1 Like

Bees, beavers… All water creatures…

1 Like

You tell me.

Among other things, I run this community pool for about a hundred members. This work requires groundskeeping, which takes up to half my labor hours most days. Perhaps not the style of groundskeeping I would perform on my own property–I am paid to make the place look good in a more conventional aesthetic, but I did finally get my bosses to agree to nativescaping and far more pollinator-friendly plant palette.

6 Likes

The plastic tub of cheap beer works wonders for slugs. They smell beer and charge right past lettuce, radishes, and turnips to drown themselves in the bottom of a pint!

4 Likes

5 Likes