“I caught a fish with my drone!”

[Read the post]

there are a plethora of stock comics of this meme

8 Likes

So. . . does this “take all the fun out of fishing”, or does it “finally make fishing fun”?

5 Likes

After the 1:00 mark, the fish suddenly gave up, he went from a lively little fighter to a… well… a dead fish.

Aw, Doc Savage did it better.

2 Likes

I’m no expert on faking video or fishing with drones, but it looks legit to me. Certiainly “plausible” if not “confirmed.” Question is, is it legal?

1 Like

The fish was still twitching a little, but well on its way to being dead if he doesn’t hurry it up.

I find this video completely plausible–I am not sure why Xeni does not.

Bluegill are sort of stupid, and are unlikely to be bothered by the drone.

If it was anything other than a member of the sunfish family, I’d be a bit skeptical.

Unless it’s a stocked lake, of course. Stocked fish are always far less wily than wild fish.

1 Like

I laughed at the Auschwitz shower debacle, but I think this guy is a douche and should be more respectul of the animals we kill. So I have all of that to work on tonight…

You’d be shocked (or deeply impressed) at not only what is legal in terms of fishing methods, but what is regularly practiced.

1 Like

Illustrates that every good intention will irk some do-gooder and be properly punished.
There are people who push symbolics into everything, thrive on feeling wronged, and apparently prefer people collapsing from heat over their holy cow being approached to a visual-contact distance.

The proper way to giving respect to a fish is eating it. Nommmm!
…and I am in a landlocked area where most of available fish goes through a days long logistical chain. The best fish I ate was in coastal areas. And I am hungry now, thank all y’all…

1 Like

Yes. Of course.

I asked a Fish & Game guy this very question, and he didn’t know. He was going to talk to his bosses and get back to me.

1 Like

A fish, caught legally or illegally, will taste the same. Some would say that the latter even tastes a notch better.

1 Like

Somewhat depends on how you caught it illegally.

I can’t say I’ve ever used dynamite, but I imagine there might be the aftertaste of cordite.

(And yes, people did this enough that it is explicitly illegal in the U.S.)

So an older gent invites a friend fishing. They get in the boat, row out to the middle-ish of the lake, beautiful day, fish are jumping.

Older Gent opens a box and pulls out a stick of dynamite, lights it, throws it overboard.

Friend says, “Don’t you know that’s illegal!”

Older Gent lights a stick, hands it to the friend, says, “Son, you gonna talk about laws, or are you gonna fish?”

Cordite is a propellant. Nitrocellulose-based, with nitroesters, but fairly different from dynamite (or, high explosives in general). Its role is to burn in a fairly slow, predictable rate, and produce gases over a defined period of time. The role of dynamite and its ilk, in the other hand, is more along the lines of also making hot gases, but making them DAMN FAST instead.

With propellants, you want a controlled pressure/time profile in the barrel, as the projectile accelerates. Use too fast powder (or even too “hot” primer that ignites too much powder at once), and the pressure get too high too quickly, and the barrel can explode. Used to happen to cannons in the times of black powder ones; they tended to blow up when the gunpowder was too fine-grained (and therefore burned too fast). Too slow powder, on the other hand, and you get awful muzzle flash and the projectile will be sluggish.

But back to the fish. I’d say the aftertaste is fairly unlikely. The combustion products aren’t copious enough and are concentrated in relatively small restricted area of water (at least initially), and then dilute quickly. What kills (at short distance) or stuns (further away) the fish is the shock wave, transferred by the water much better than in air.

3 Likes

Yup, and fish specifically are quite vulnerable to shockwaves in the water, due to their lateral line. Popping a firecracker underwater to a fish is like getting your ears bashed in by a heavyweight boxer to a human. Their primary distance sensing is through the lateral line, and it’s very sensitive.

2 Likes

Like almost all the good Darwin Awards, this one sadly isn’t true (still funny, mind)

http://www.darwinawards.com/legends/legends1999-09.html

Probably legit.

At small ponds. People feed their fish. Just throw out a handful of floating fish food. You have a willing audience–wanting more. Then bait the hook with a ■■■■■ bit of the fish food. You’re piratically guaranteed to get a bite.

My folks had a fish pond and when you fed the fish ‘just a teaser’ portion. You could put a hook in and get a catch in about 20 seconds or less.

1 Like

(Yes, I am replying to myself. What’s it to ya? I can talk to myself if I want to!)

And I got an answer…

In California, fishing by drone is not explicitly illegal but is “frowned upon” by Fish & Game. If they choose to make an issue of it, they’d probably do so under 14 CCR 2.45(a) which prohibits “Computer Assisted Remote Fishing.” However, the F&G guy freely admits that his people know of no court test of this particular application of the law so far.

3 Likes