Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata but the bass is a bar late, and the melody is a bar early

If you imagine that being played on a synth, it could easily have come from just about any John Carpenter soundtrack.

2 Likes

It’s just best not to mess with Ludwig Van.

1 Like

When I was arranging “The Wild Rover” for brass quintet, I intended that the Irish hymn, “Be Thou My Vision” should be playing underneath the fourth verse. But I messed up the timing, causing the hymn to come in one measure before the melody. It became a happy accident, because I liked what happened in the music. I wonder if the Beethoven was also a happy accident.

Kinda like if you play it backwards, you end up with this:

that guy really captured how beethoven’s moonlight sonata sounds when you are in the bar late.

4 Likes

always mystified by the learning condition in groundhog day movie

I like that! I couldn’t help but think of Leonard Cohen and his last album, ‘You Want It Darker’ - I could imagine him putting lyrics to this piece. Very downbeat.

Pretty wild. In a way, it reminds me of something Frank Zappa was known for: he liked to take two completely different compositions and sync them up. “It Ain’t Necessarily the St. James Infirmary” is a really good example of this.

Sounds like the sad expositional final denouement music from a Hans Zimmer soundtrack. The protagonist (really an anti-protagonist) has realized the error of their ways and how they can’t fix them and that ironically these character flaws and awful skills are exactly what are needed to continue going forward yet still doing wrong because fate has placed them there…don’t even get me started as to what has happened to the love interest.

1 Like

I assume I’ve heard the original - at some point. And I might recognise it if played “properly”, but I’m basically a naïf here. I liked it, although the occasional double beat was a bit jarring. Very melancholy - my partner descibed it as suicide music.

1 Like

One thing I love at places like music camp is standing outside and hearing a group rehearsing Bartok and someone practicing Beethoven and every now and then it phases into something remarkable. Ives was on to something, even if I wish he’d “curated” that sort of thing into something a little less painful to the ears.

2 Likes

Came here to say/ask exactly this. Talk about bad copy. Couldn’t be more ambiguous if it tried. A model of zero clarity. Would have got 0/10 from my old English teacher.

ETA actually it is so confusing that… @frauenfelder please could you edit to make clear exactly what IS going on here?.

1 Like

Here’s the original:

2 Likes

Fake! Beethoven didn’t even have a Youtube channel!

3 Likes

I honestly cannot think of a clearer way to put it. The bass is one bar late, the melody is one bar early.
In the original, both the bass and the arpeggios in the middle (@kaibeezytentroy - isn’t that like there’s a rhythm guitar in the middle?) start at the beginning of the first bar; the melody starts at the end of the fifth bar.
In this version, the bass is delayed by one bar, so it starts at the beginning of the second bar.
And the melody is early by one bar, so it starts just before the end of the fourth bar. How is this ambiguous? How could you possibly state more clearly what is going on?

OK, the arpeggios are in the middle. I get it now. Plus finding out Beethoven had three hands, that helped too ; )

If Beethoven had three hands, I wonder how many hands Franz Liszt had.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.