Pizza delivery man plays Beethoven for customers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/14/pizza-delivery-man-plays-beeth.html

11 Likes

I hope he got a great tip!

17 Likes

I remember my days spent in hours of practice on hard pieces. You can’t help but end up with them memorized.

6 Likes

They better have gotten a good Yelp review.

4 Likes

Maybe not as worldview-shattering as the climactic scene in The Pianist but it certainly is inspiring. You never know where surprising talent may be lurking.

Also, I like to think he spun his cap around 180 degrees before starting. The way another pianist might roll up their tuxedo sleeves.

5 Likes

A while back, my dad bought a new TV. One of the delivery guys was a high school kid who sat down and played our old piano beautifully for 15 minutes after the TV was set up. None of his coworkers knew he could do this. When his boss found out, he bought the store a keyboard so the kid could play at work from time to time. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

During the 1990-1991 recession, a friend who was a civil engineer and recently arrived immigrant, ended up delivering pizza for a few months. He happened to deliver a pizza to a house that had a bell with classical music. Got a $10 tip when asked to guess the composer, which he got right (it was Beethoven).

5 Likes

It’s obvious what this young man was hungry for. So nice to see a piano get a good workout when so many end up gathering dust (this one seems to be well-used and well-loved by the family).

8 Likes

I would make a terrible pizza delivery person, I can’t even sing karaoke well.

9 Likes

If this had been me:

When the 26 year old delivery man arrived at their home, he gave them the pizza, saw the Guitar Hero plastic guitar in the foyer, and asked if he could play it. The police were called right about then.

16 Likes

Kids today…
It’s Verdi or Rossini with pizza.

13 Likes

If this had played out at my home:

“Hey, I see you have some oil paints, some brushes, and a half-finished portrait on the easel. May I do some painting?”

“Fuck no.”

7 Likes

What? Maybe 5% of Americans would be able to identify the composer of that piece, never mind the opus. We have created a nation of ignorant, uncultured, self-centered drones and we wonder why things are going downhill?

1 Like

And then there’s kids like this one, who make that generalization evaporate.

6 Likes

Ok, I can do the movement of the Moonlight fairly well. I can even get thru the second, sorta (Isn’t all that difficult, but unless you know exactly what it sounds like it is surprisingly weird). But, damn, that third movement is a bitch.

2 Likes

And they said that he’d never find a job that used his degree in music. Just another 150 years and the student loans will be paid off…

4 Likes

“That was beautiful young man. . .we ordered a supreme, not Hawaiian, but still, you play beautifully.”

3 Likes

This is exactly why you need to be careful about what you type in the “special instructions” box.

4 Likes

I’m slightly ashamed that I expected him to play the slow movement.

1 Like

I don’t get the surprise. pizza delivery people are people, with all sorts of skills. the mistake is judging the working class as not having skills, surly the entitled class rose above by being more qualified in some way? nope. you could be working as a patent office clerk and be dreaming up e=mc2 in your free time, classism != value as a human or ability to contribute in beauty or logic imho. time to put an end to that idea once and for all.

1 Like