Beetle species swallowed by frogs just exits alive via the old dirt road

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/09/beetle-species-swallowed-by-fr.html

8 Likes

To any dung beetles out there reading this, I believe in you, man, you can do this!

16 Likes

Or perhaps?

I predict another music thread…

8 Likes

There’s also the unappreciated, classic, “Hey, Pooed”:

Hey, pooed, sure you smell bad.
Being eaten will put you under the weather.
You’re only temporarily a shart,
Now you can start to make it better.

5 Likes

Those who dig Skinny Puppy would probably hum "The Strong and Whining Toad:

6 Likes

Kind of a metaphor for this whole year…

12 Likes

Except that in this case the metaphorical frog’s gut is completely constipated. We’re gonna have to dig our way out.

2 Likes

The Creator, if He exists, has “an inordinate fondness for beetles”. — JBS Haldane

3 Likes

Don’t forget that the person responsible for The Long and Winding Road also gave us this:

3 Likes

I’d say more like pinworms.

Lemmiwinks?

2 Likes

This is the Fantastic Voyage reboot I never asked for.

14 Likes

There’s a also a case of a snake managing to travel right through a toad’s digestive system, though apparently it didn’t survive for long after emerging. The toad was fine.

Music to potty train by:

1 Like

This gets my vote because I prefer the beetle/Beatles layer to the joke that some may have missed!

2 Likes

Soundtrack for the unfortunate 7%. :smiling_imp:

What’s interesting about this is, why are frogs continuing to eat something that presumably has at best the nutritional benefits of gravel (and at worst causes damage to their poop chutes)? Not much evolutionary advantage in that.

Maybe the two species have only recently crossed paths, but a more intriguing possibility would be if the beetle gets something out of its journey, and maybe provides something to the frog in exchange, like it’s coated with delicious flavoring or even something actually nutritious. After all, that is the strategy fruits use (they spend energy coating their seeds in tasty food, and in exchange animals transport the seeds far and wide in the course of failing to digest them). Are beetles a kind of fruit?

2 Likes

7 Likes

I just learned about this from a post on the wonderful Instagram art/comics account ‘Sad Animal Facts’
https://www.instagram.com/sadanimalfacts/?hl=en