Bombardier Beetles escape death by farting their way to safety

Originally published at: Bombardier Beetles escape death by farting their way to safety | Boing Boing

5 Likes

fart flying GIF

12 Likes

I like this footage from BBC Earth…

6 Likes

I’m excreting noxious chemicals from my anus right now!

(And this is definitely my kind of beetle!)

5 Likes

Finally found my spirit animal - I’ve been using this technique to escape my wife for many years.

7 Likes

“Fart”? Sounds more like diarrhea.

Looking forward to the Marvel comic where a young entomologist is bitten by radioactive Bombardier Beetle.

6 Likes

The “crop-duster” beetle, Ok with me.

4 Likes

Headline: beetles escape death

Fine print: 43% of the time

So they sometimes escape death, but more often they don’t. No taxes, though, I guess.

I have found my brethren in nature.

Pants off to you Bombardier Beetle.

1 Like

Except it’s not from its anus, it’s from a pair of pygidial glands. Yes, they’re at the tip of the abdomen, which can be aimed really well, but as far as everything else says they’re not connected with the digestive tract at all. A nice video but given a disappointingly misleading headline, NatGeo. :slightly_frowning_face:

7 Likes

1 Like

Cute.

Jeez, what cold kinda bastard do you have to be to dump one of these poor beetles in the tank with one of those poor frogs, just for The Views?

Ah the poor bombardier beetle, the classic example used by creationists as proof that evolution could not have caused this animal to come into being. That and bananas.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.