Bell-bottoms are back

I was born in 1964, I had the pleasure of being a kid in the '70s and a young adult in the '80s. The older I get the more I remember and miss.

But as Eddie Money said…

I want to go back
And do it all over again
But I can’t go back I know
I want to go back
'Cause I’m feeling so much older
But I can’t go back I know

But they don’t appear to be brush denim multicolored bell bottoms…
I’m holding out for…

Well, OK, but I’m gonna want one of those embroidered “peasant” shirts, size: “Larger”.
Driving in Bell bottoms ? Not recommended, especially if you have a manual transmission. Also, snow magnet :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Concur.

1 Like

For all those who are longing for bellbottoms, you don’t have to wait to buy them. You can DIY your own from existing jeans.

I remember seeing lots of this during the last 70s revival in the 90s.

19 Likes

What you’re referring to are more properly called “shoulder straps.” These are epaulettes (“little wings” in French):

2 Likes

Oh fuck no, bad ideas come back from the dead.

4 Likes

Or the second. Or the third. Or fourth.

Every time this comes back a new generation gets to turn 27 and look back with regret.

It also tends to be more of mish-mash of very late 70’s and very early 80’s. Probably the most aggressively avocado green 5 year band you can think of.

3 Likes

Huh. Are mustaches back in style now too?

Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

I suppose one can always go OG Hippie and just modify a standard pair of jeans.

(ETA: as @Grasshopper already suggested)

12 Likes

One time, while looking up some 80’s song on YouTube I saw a comment about how great 80’s music was.
I bit my tongue, not replying that the commenter was finding only the tiny percentage of halfway decent songs that are remembered and posted on YT.
“Trust me, kid, the 80’s sucked. Be glad you missed it.”

4 Likes

Good; that means the return of ‘fashion’ from the 80’s is finally over.

7 Likes

With very few exceptions, if it wasn’t recorded before 1989, I’m not a fan.

1 Like

Can we also bring back 1970’s attitudes about vaccines? That would be groovy.

14 Likes

Every Spring, Fashion proclaims that the 70s are back. Articles are written, clothes are displayed, but thankfully, the gawd awful style never catches on again.

5 Likes

dear god no GIF

6 Likes

The '70s were a time of collective global fashion insanity, but when I was about 4 or 5 I did have a pair of awesome plaid flare pants that I wanted to wear everywhere.

4 Likes

I’m glad someone else noticed. The last time I was at Target, I commented to my SO that it looked like someone raided the closet of their great aunt from the 70s who wasn’t even fashionable back then.

6 Likes

I just kind of hate jean/trouser cuts as a “trend” in general. I fully support a healthy variety of jeans/trouser cuts and rises so people have options while still getting to feel a little fashionable. For example: High waisted wide leg and flare pants are really unflattering on anyone who doesn’t have a certain underlying height and ratio of waist to leg length. I wish pant rises, thigh and leg widths, and accommodations for the hips were not part of “fashion” or “trends” at all really.

11 Likes