What's the deal with bluecollar workwear fashion?

Originally published at: What's the deal with bluecollar workwear fashion? | Boing Boing

9 Likes

This is like the affluent wearing fake Stillsuits as a fashion trend in Dune Messiah.

12 Likes

Next trend: Japanese construction workwear.

10 Likes

See also: Carhartt as a fashion choice. You could even go back to Levi’s, the original work-wear.

I have a blue jumpsuit I bought 30 years ago. It is durable, resists staining, and I don’t have to think about “what it goes with.” Though to be honest I typically wear it when I need to do laundry.

13 Likes

I’d rock a pair of these Nikkapokka, they are cho inasedane!!! ^____^

8 Likes

season 1 episode 3 GIF by Portlandia

5 Likes

Sheesh, what’s next, denim trousers!? (@generic_name beat me to it)

(To say nothing of abominable sweatpants)

5 Likes

This already happened years ago, like in the early aughts. Prices not only went up, but the manufacturers also started using lighter weight materials and less sturdy construction (cheaper snaps, zippers, thinner thread and less stitches on seams for ex.)

6 Likes

Only a sign of de-evolution…

15 Likes

You can go back a lot further than that. At the very least to the high medieval gugel/chaperon, originally a type of hood for hunters and workers, later adopted by the nobility and worn in all manner of crazy ways, including with trailing points or kinda arranged on the head like a turban.

11 Likes

That’s a good call-back :+1:

8 Likes

That’s still one of the best songs that came out of the sadly short-lived bardcore trend.

5 Likes

Just stay away from my denim skirts and scrub skirts, please.

4 Likes

Picture1

2 Likes

Read about this in the 80s: Some NY-based clothing designers were on the lookout for new ideas by observing what some people were already wearing out and about. One example was “layering”, taken from observing the homeless.

The trailing point made the headpiece even more practical; it could be wrapped around the wearer’s neck for cold weather comfort.

1 Like

Pete Townshend loved his jumpsuit.

5 Likes

See also: flannel shirts.

5 Likes

You can partially blame Wal-Mart for the cheapening of the quality on things like denim jeans- Their buyers insisted on a price point, and would not negotiate. (the classic tale of the one gallon jar of pickles comes to mind)

7 Likes

Country Estate Chic. Perfect when making the daily inspection of one’s stable of thoroughbreds. And don’t forget the rustic oiled coat.

Good luck finding the quality of fabric and construction from years ago.

6 Likes