Bell-bottoms are back

Originally published at: Bell-bottoms are back | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Crop tops??? Noooooooooo!!

11 Likes

The only people who think bringing back '70’s fashions is a good idea are the ones who did not have to live through it the first time around.

29 Likes

tumblr_mz12ruxf8W1qfeaoyo2_250

26 Likes

Hey, I looked pretty dapper in my leisure suit and platform shoes.

8 Likes

More coordinated than me. I tripped over my bell bottoms more often than not.

14 Likes

A running joke amongst the GenX siblings and cousins in my family is to ask our parents “what on Earth were you thinking?!” every time the subject of 1970s design comes up.

19 Likes

Lululemon to release a pair of stretch pants flairs in 3,2, …

8 Likes

Do you want malaise and double-digit inflation? Because this is what leads to malaise and double-digit inflation!

12 Likes

Bells? No never, but Flares, yeah OK. You can forget about those crazy big collared shirts or any shirts with lapels though Hey remember those big fat wide ties? I had some beautiful ones with funky paisley designs.
Edit. Sorry I said lapels…I meant epaulettes

4 Likes

18 Likes

I missed them the first time, but everytime these are a trend I wish they would stay longer. Been buying the widest “bootleg” jeans I can find for years.

7 Likes

nothing was cooler to me than my brown brushed denim leisure suit with the bell bottoms and my red converse. yes it was 1975, i was 14, and an idiot.

8 Likes

Sort of what I always say about the 80’s: Anyone that thinks the 80’s were cool didn’t have the misfortune of being old enough to be aware.

8 Likes

I remember back in the day I had a couple of pairs of cuban-heeled boots and shoes. Had a kind of Western vibe. Kinda remember a lower back ache walking in them though. And that was in the 70’s. None of that stuff was current in the 80’s.

2 Likes

When will this trend filter down to discount stores? I am having all kinds of trouble finding even boot cut jeans. I am not skinny, and cringe at the thought of skinny jeans. I DO want them to fit over my boots.

6 Likes

pretty sure bells have been back for a few years. it’s just become so widespread (pun?) that it’s reached the Target demographic. i’m ok with flares, but then again, i was in the 70s (and truth be told, the 80s too).

4 Likes

The only people who think bringing back '70’s fashions is a good idea are the ones who did not have to live through it the first time around.

Not true! I myself lived through those times, and am glad to see some of the styles come back around.

I loved bell bottoms as a kid, though I never had a really flamboyant pair. If they’re selling now, I’m going to buy the bell-est bottom jeans I can find and be the hippie grandma* of your fondest nightmares.

I don’t miss the polyester of the era though; that was just awful. Feh!

*not an actual grandma but old enough to be one

9 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

15 Likes

One use fashion, buy and discard. pah!

This is currently being serialised on Radio 4

I can remember wearing flares on my motorbike, the flapping used to leave my calfs red, and when it rained!

4 Likes