Bell-bottoms are back

My philosophy: wear the same style jeans as I wore in high school. If I wait long enough, it will be fashionable again soon. :wink:

14 Likes

You know what they say:

17 Likes

I’ve had two FB friends complain about the prevalence of crop tops just last week when shopping for their kids (one 10, on in HS). So I guess they are “in” right now?

3 Likes

when i was still teaching i knew when things like crop tops and tube tops were becoming popular based on whether or not our dress code had a rule against wearing them.

strangely, there were never any rules against “excessively flared legs” on pants.

11 Likes

How often did you get written up for wearing tube tops? Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:

Also, as someone with an abnormally long torso, I’ll say “crop tops” have always been a necessary evil. Basically anything mass produced is somewhat of a crop top for me and I hate it.

But to stay on topic, that’s another reason I loved those high waisted navy jeans!

12 Likes

My dogs liked them, since it gave them something to pull me around with.

5 Likes

it wasn’t that i ever wore them so much as i was required, as a teacher, to be on the lookout for them during those times they made it into the dress code and send girls, and it was always and only girls who ever seemed to wear them, to the office to either call home for a change of clothes or change into one of the nurse’s “ugly sweatshirt” collection for the rest of the day.

8 Likes

But the polyester shirts could have almost anything printed on them. A particular favorite of mine was a forest of blue trees on a white background. You had to look really closely to notice that a blue Woody Woodpecker was running around in between some of them.

4 Likes

See! I knew I was right to save them! Now if I could only lose 30 pounds I could wear them…

3 Likes

Re: tube tops

I definitely remember my friends wearing them in service of fashion, but also remember them being a PITA for them because one size did not fit all, and added unwanted attention from the boys.

And yes, this is an issue that’s the boys’ fault, not the girls.

9 Likes

Ain’t got the pants, ain’t got a chance.

1 Like

polyester, esp the shudder doubleknit variety, is The Work of the Devil.

5 Likes

Recollection of my mom returning from a buying spree with one of her friends. “Look at what I got for yoouuuuu” she said to me: A shirt of palest pink with tiny delicately sewn in red flowers, and blood red corduroy slacks. Ask me if I ever even tried them on. Then there was my parochial school pal who showed up in Sunday mass sporting a Nehru jacket, matching tight slacks, and a peace medallion. Ask me if I ever saw him wearing those again.

3 Likes

Going back about… 10 years?.. there seemed to be a very short revival of young girls’ fashion involving bell bottoms and long, long straight hair. Right out of Woodstock.

4 Likes

Funny, was just thinking about how over the last week I noticed several examples of what could only be compared to early-90’s MC Hammer-style parachute pants. The week before spotted a youngster sporting honest-to-goodness JNCO’s.

Perhaps spaceship earth is finally entering into some kind of post-era-specific generalized-wacky-pants continuum.

3 Likes

Gawd damn. Me too! And the same color!

2 Likes

Here’s some pretty sexy 70’s fashion: Canned Heat Let's Work Together ft TotP Audience Feb 1970 HQ Audio - YouTube

This gives me a flashback to something a bit later… :grimacing:

5 Likes

Let’s go the whole hog:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.