Bell's brewery releases beer named after very Midwestern idiom

Actually, Jewel is still around, though in modern times it’s run by Albertson’s. It was Dominick’s (apostrophe and all) that folded, after Safeway took them over. The Chicago-area grocery business is not for the weak - yet there are some smaller players who do quite well.

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’m from Long Island and we use both “no, yeah” and “yeah, no” all the time. Couldn’t say when exactly that started but I wonder how widespread it is through the northeast.

2 Likes

you were meant for me happiness GIF

or…

facts-of-life-geri

or…

1 Like

How 'bout “door”? That’s what I use when I refer to my sliding glass door that leads to my backyard deck. Or porch. Or Muskoka room.

Seems to me “Yah, no” has become very common. Not just as a dismissive “yes I get what you’re saying but reject it summarily”, but as all-purpose sentence starter. Probably a simple delaying tactic, like “um” and “ah”. Which probably has a name, but I know nothing about linguistics, or grammar, or whatevs.

ETA: had to bring up one of my favorite regional words: utsacould. As in “I used to be able to…”. Texas, perhaps southern. This is my second use of it today.

ETA2: and now have to add “c’mon back”, heard from the Florida panhandle cashier as I turned towards the door to leave. So I turned back to her, expecting to see I forgot my purchases or change; she was as confused as I was.

2 Likes

Sounds right. I’ve lived in Germany for the last twenty years and that’s how people here express either polite disagreement, as opposed to ‘auf keinen Fall!’, or scepticism.

Based off of, instead of based on, is a nail on my chalkboard.

But I don’t know just how regional that one is.

1 Like

the stacking of modal verbs is a very southern US thing. I learned them in Tennessee. I was just talking about this in a thread here a few days ago. “might could” is probably my most common one, but “useta could” also frequent. “should oughta” also common.

2 Likes

This is definitely one I picked up from South Carolina and I honestly love it now. I tend to use it whenever I want to gently urge someone to consider something and it goes over a lot better than “should”.

4 Likes

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised to see that in a list of Michigan idioms. As a schoolkid in Michigan, I had a teacher who was originally from Pittsburgh who once told a story about her family saying, “j’eet jet?” and that was the first I’d ever heard that. I certainly don’t remember native Michiganders saying it.

2 Likes

The British “different to” – as opposed to “different from” – is that for me. That and “drink driving.”

3 Likes

“Maths” is the one that gets me. Overall, though, I love the little and big differences between American and British English. The world would be a dull place if everyone talked alike.

2 Likes

“Different than” – as opposed to “different from” – is that for me… However, after reading this post on Merriam-Webster’s site just now, I can report that I’m feeling more commodious :slight_smile:

1 Like

They also say bubbler in Rhode Island.

I remember people in NZ feeling like they had to explain this one to me when my wife and I visited, though the explanation wasn’t necessary. Seemed pretty straightforward, as in “Yeah ( I see what you’re saying/asking ), nah ( that’s not the case )”. Man that was a great trip; I envy you living there.

Funny this inverse exists. FWIW, we live in southeast MI - can’t say I hear it regularly but would guess it’s more a western Michigan thing.

2 Likes

I always thought pop was a midweastern thing and ‘coke’ as a catchall for any carbonated drink was a southern-ism. No?

2 Likes

I never knew that. I wonder where it came up first, or if they came up with it independently?

1 Like

They were whaling people. So it went from blubber to bubbler pretty naturally.

No, not really. But that sounds fun.

3 Likes

This one’s from Vancouver where we don’t hold back on beer-style cultural appropriation.

“Our good friends south of the Pacific have a particular way with words, and some of the best hops in the world. So this ones brewed to showcase some of what they have to offer, so slip on your socks and jandals and fill up ya chilly bin with some of this fine brew.”

Sadly come and gone. Probably didn’t quite sell enough to sponsor a series of ocean racers.

3 Likes

I seem to recall reading that the first company that got market share in those areas referred to their products as “bubblers” rather than “drinking/water fountains,” so presumably it was written on them somewhere. since it was a new phenomenon, the people had no reason to call them otherwise. like saying “xerox machine” instead of “photocopier.”

4 Likes

I’ll have to wait to try it- not in my area yet!

I am a transplant from the Kalamazoo area to the Athens, GA area. Kalamazoo has a localism of “fluffed ham” which is thinly shaved ham piled up (“fluffed”) in a sandwich or roll. I didn’t know it was local to that part of Michigan until a couple of years ago! In Athens GA, many churches will have fundraisers selling “chicken mull”, which is a kind of slow-cooked chicken stew with crushed crackers in it. I didn’t know it was local to this part of Georgia until a couple of years ago! :slight_smile:

3 Likes