Bell's brewery releases beer named after very Midwestern idiom

Tone and delivery sure, but I think that my usage is opposite. (But it’s hard to tell now that I’m thinking about it.)

1 Like

In Texas it’s “I sure don’t” that throws me.

2 Likes

Another former Michigander (Oakland County). Don’t remember doorwall, don’t remember jeet, have heard no, yeah but I don’t use it.

Party store is definitely a Michigan thing, though, even in the burbs.

2 Likes

Yeah I grew up in Wayne County and don’t remember jeet either. However, my family always said doorwall. It wasn’t until after I moved to Chicagoland ~8 years ago that I realized it’s not a term anyone outside of Michigan says.

My boyfriend also points out that I add an “s” to companies that don’t have one at the end (ex: Meijers, Fords, etc.) and that I love to use the handmap when chatting with other Michiganders.

I know I am also one of very few SE Michiganders that say “sorry” with a Canadian accent. But I blame that on watching a ton of CBC and falling asleep to it every night.

4 Likes

“No, yeah” adds emphasis to the yeah. “Yeah, no” adds emphasis to the no.

“Yeah right” is a rare case of two positives making a negative.

3 Likes

Maybe when they talk about going acrost the crick?

4 Likes

I heard that in WisCAHNsin, too. I always said ‘creek’, though.

3 Likes

As a native Ohioan, same here.

3 Likes

I’ve been told by Americans that it’s a very stereotypically Australian phrase, so I’m a little surprised that it’s actually used somewhere within the US. Makes sense that it’s also used it across the Tasman, tho our usage can also extend to somewhat less polite disagreement (more of a dryly blunt “nope”).

1 Like

I suspect that German immigrants are the source, since it resembles “nun ja”, “naja” and “tja” in its usage.

8 Likes

Yeah but no but what does the beer taste like?

1 Like

“Y’all” was one of the first things I picked up when I move to The South (as opposed to “the south” where I grew up). It’s a great word, as is its compound, “all a y’all.”

4 Likes

20+years in The South and the 10k variants of “bless his heart” still give me pause. Mandarin Chinese has nothing on the tonal variety of that phrase.

6 Likes

Ya’ll was a standard word growing up, but it wasn’t until I moved deep into the mountains of East Tennessee that I encountered “Yunz”. I think it may come from “you ones”? I dunno. Sometimes you can hear the break in the middle and it sounds like “You-unz”. I even heard “Yunzes”, which I guess is a plural of a plural.

Anyways, I’ll let yunz get back to talking about yankee folk.

3 Likes

Possibly a migration of Pittsburghers’ “yinz?”

Cool map of this:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sastraining/2017/01/04/american-english-where-to-use-yall-versus-yinz/

2 Likes

Could be! Some weird venn diagram overlap of the two, perhaps.

That’s funny, when I moved from the Chicagoland suburbs to the city proper, I started hearing “Jewels” instead of “Jewel.” Of course, that’s when there was such a store…

1 Like

I add the s at the end of certain stores. Meijers is the big one, although they didn’t really come into my town until after I went away to college.

I’ve been in Toronto for over a decade at this point and I still have trouble saying “sorry” with the Canadian accent. In my experience (and presumably due to lots of immigration) the so-called Canadian accent is more pronounced outside of Toronto anyway.

2 Likes

Still waiting for one of the NYC breweries to come out with “You Don’t Wanna Be Doin’ That!” Ale, and “Stoopball” beer.

2 Likes

My sister moved to Michigan decades ago and adds the “s”, but my mother (a native of western Illinois) also does that as well. “Party store” is still my favorite Michiganism, though.

And to any Brits visiting Michigan: “M-” attached to a number does not mean “motorway.”

Wisconsin also has some unique terms, in particular “bubbler” (a drinking fountain).

1 Like