What to call residents of each US state

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/02/what-to-call-residents-of-each.html

3 Likes

Pfaugh. Where are the Hoosiers? The Baystaters? The Show-Meers?

5 Likes

No one in Massachusetts uses the word “Massachusettan”. It’s Bay Stater, or most commonly, Masshole.

38 Likes

They’re between “Hawaii resident” and “Idahoan” on the list.

17 Likes

I love that old song, “Ain’t nobody cuter than my Connecticuter.”

10 Likes

My favorite president was a Hawaii resident.

14 Likes

My favorite episode of Taxi

http://bitterempire.com/taxi-zen-and-the-art-of-cab-drivinglouies-mother/

11 Likes
What to call residents of each US state

American.

11 Likes

“Yes, the U.S. Government Publishing Office Style Manual refers to residents of Hawaii as “Hawaii residents.” This change occurred last year thanks to Senator Brian Schatz (D-HI) who pushed for clarification that not everyone who lives in Hawaii is a Native Hawaiian.”

What about the other 49 states, then?

12 Likes

People from Illinois are called FIB’s.

ETA: “Fucking Illinois Bastards”. Another term–FIBWB’s (FIB’s with boats). This is a real term, and I have heard people use it.

4 Likes

And they get run off a bridge by the Bluesmobile?

4 Likes

Not just Nazi’s. We are all called that (by Wisconsinites).

3 Likes

Came here to post this, and this thread did not disappoint (Mass. resident here; I bet half this state couldn’t spell the state’s name).

11 Likes

Michiganian supposedly has some supporters, but I’ve never met one. Michigander is the official term. The US Government Publishing Office is at odds with Michigan state law on this one.

32 Likes

Michigander is definitely the term more widely used. We’ll have to work hard to over take that with Michigangster.

19 Likes

Everyone in New Mexico is a now a new Mexican? The alt right there must be writhing.

15 Likes

“Washingtonian” is technically correct, though if you want to be truly authentic with your pronunciation, you need to spell it “WaRshingtonian.”

9 Likes

You have now. I don’t care what the legislature says, I am not a male goose and I don’t like being referred to as one. The feds have it right. :wink:

Though I suppose I could accept Michigangster as a compromise. :rofl:

14 Likes

Surely Mainian sounds nicer.

5 Likes

Minor Mainers mining minerals in the main mine in Maine.

10 Likes