People in northern Sweden say "yes" in an unusual way

[Permalink]

1 Like

I won’t ask how they say “no”

3 Likes

But how do you spell that?

4 Likes

I wonder if it comes from any of the Sami languages or traditions.

2 Likes

My host father and brother taught me how to say “yes” like that on the first day I lived with them in northern Sweden. Wonderful memory. Also fun is the way Swedes in Hälsingland say “yes”. It’s just like a gasp of surprise or fear. Can’t tell you how many times I thought something was wrong!

2 Likes

having a conversation while eating soup must be impossible.

8 Likes

Interesting, because Ethiopians (or Amharic speakers, at any rate) also do that.

4 Likes

Unless it’s an argument.

1 Like

“Tbtttttt.” Possibly.

I often think I’ve been caught doing something wrong when a Swede says hello.

– Do you think I am fat?
takes a sip
– I want a divorce!

8 Likes

There’s a variation of the pronunciation of the word “oui” (yes) in France that sounds very similar. It sounds like “weh” and it’s said quickly taking in air towards the back of the throat and the lips aren’t formed in a circle when pronounced. It’s not as strong as the Northern Swedish “yes”.

1 Like

Huh, maybe not just Northern Sweden - I’ve heard friends from Stockholm and Southern Sweden do the same or similar - inhaling their “yes,” possibly shaping that inhalation slightly to be more of a “jo” sound.
Not so strange considering the US habit of essentially humming to say yes or no. “Mmm hmmm.” “Hmm hmm.”

3 Likes

My Scots uncle does a similar little gasping thing before saying “aye”. Perhaps it’s a cold climate thing to prevent giving your listener a mouthful of condensed humidity. There’s talk of the closed-mouth rural Queensland accent here originating to keep the flies out.

2 Likes

When I were a young pup, this sound is how many of my cohort would ask one another whether it was time to engage in communal cannabis consumption. Oft times with a finger to their thumb in front of their lips.

1 Like

seems weird until you remember that in the US, we express incredulity with an exhale: “pshht!”

and “be quiet” is “SHHHHH!”

yay regionalisms!

Reminds me a little of the unusual way Noomi Rapace would say “yeah” in the original version of the “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” movies (watch those if you haven’t already). She would suck in air while saying a very short “yah”. I thought it was just her own quirk (since no one else in the movies seemed to do the same) – maybe it’s related or based on this far odder (from an outsider’s POV anyway) vocalization.

Nope, just agreeable.

Liked for minty Swedish udon

1 Like

I lived and worked in Stockholm for a time. Most of the organization were Swedes. It took me a few weeks to get used to the “gasp.” Things started to make more sense after that.