Ben Carson thinks poverty is a state of mind

All this time I was puzzling over the philosophical question, “what sort of attitude leads to a poverty of the mind?” Thanks for clearing that up, Ben.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, he’s been charged with helping the impoverished, so ignoring him will allow his lunacy to continued unfettered. Sunlight, disinfectant, etc.

14 Likes

True, i had forgotten about that. shows you how much room i have for his antics in my head.

5 Likes

This is somewhat true, if by “the right mindset” you mean “I am friends with / related to a number of people who can lend me thousands of dollars if it comes right down to it, and when I walk into a job interview I talk like a suburban white person, and I have a college degree, and I am not freaked out by the prospect of true destitution for the same reason isolated Amazon tribes are not freaked out by guns pointed at them, etc.”

Taking away someone’s money doesn’t take away their social capital, but that doesn’t mean someone with no money can just magic social capital out of thin air.

19 Likes

I hear ya. All the big rocks being forced out by bigger, unnecessary orange rocks…

http://www.uh.edu/~dsocs3/wisdom/wisdom/lessonsoflife.htm

2 Likes

I respectfully disagree with your alignment decisions, and do not appreciate you messing with my art and IP with a revisionistist interpretation. Please desist.

8 Likes

Excellent! As it happens I had at hand the same photo “ruined”, but never got around to putting it to use. Great minds!

9 Likes

I only recently got section 8, which is a program that pays part of your rent. It’s overseen by the department this man is in charge of. I waited on the waiting list for it for five years, during which I became homeless and couldn’t find a place to rent in my city that I could afford. I finally squeaked into my current apartment because of a different low income housing program also overseen by the department this man is in charge of. Even that was a close call, because they required that my income be at least double my rent, and the first apartment I applied for was just over half my and my mother’s combined income from our disability checks. By absolute chance, a different unit opened up that was literally only about 20 dollars less than my entire disability check, which means it’s less than half of our combined income. Oh happy day! We had to go to food banks to survive and still every month was full of worry about making ends meet. Section 8 finally came through and has given us a tiny bit of room to breathe, but during the process of actually getting ourselves on the program once the wait was over, we were constantly aware that if we failed and flunked out, while we technically could apply again and start over, we would have to get back on the waiting list AND THE WAITING LIST HAS BEEN CLOSED SINCE 2014 AND WAS FIVE YEARS LONG WHEN IT WAS OPEN.

I explain all this just to say… I literally have nightmares about Ben Carson and quotes like this one is why.

30 Likes

Carson should take that message to the world’s poorest countries WHICH just happen to be run by dictators. How much opportunity does anyone there really have to move out of poverty when the dictatorial scumbags running the country are effectively serving as role models for Trump? Trump would LOVE that kind of power.

4 Likes

Is he volunteering?

If so, let’s add a few conditions:

• The volunteer must not receive any help, financial or otherwise, from family, friends, or acquaintances.
  • The volunteer must live and work under an assumed name so that no one will help just because of name recognition.
  • Because of the name change, any previous credentials and work experience are worthless. The volunteer must start entirely from scratch.

Now, Mr. Carson, are you willing to let yourself be put onto the street under those conditions, given your guarantee that “a little while [you’ll] be right back up there?”

15 Likes

Film it as an episode of Undercover Boss and donate the proceeds to AnybodybutTrump2020

4 Likes
14 Likes

But he knows what the pyramids were really built for. Smart man if you ask me.

9 Likes

Whenever I think of Ben Carson I ask myself, was this guy seriously a surgeon?
I mean seriously?

8 Likes

Maybe he helped people the same way some farmers help injured horses…

4 Likes

“…excuse me!
while I proselytize!!”

(Sing to the music of ‘Purple Haze’)

5 Likes

That seems more like a Huckabee hat than a Trump hat.

2 Likes

I’M SERIOUS: You should write to your congressperson about this; your situation should be an example for talking points!!!

12 Likes

I’d like to see some of those assholes survive a whole month on a couple hundred dollars with none of their friends and connections. I want to see some of them have to survive on tips from waiting tables, or day labor.

I want to grab Carson by the collar and explain cause and effect. Cause and effect, motherfucker, DO YOU KNOW IT?

Then, I’d like to magically wipe his memory and set him down in Ferguson or Memphis. After a month or two he can have his memories back, and we can see if he developed any kind of humanity in that time.

14 Likes
  1. Needy Lady
  2. Manic Recession
  3. Poor House
  4. Can You Feed Me
  5. Love or Compassion
  6. I Don’t Eat Today
  7. May This Be Bankruptcy
  8. Fired
  9. Third Notice From the Bank
  10. Forgotten
  11. Are You Impoverished?