Ben Carson wants to raise rents on public housing tenants by 300%+, attacking elderly, people with disabilities and working poor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/15/dickens-larping.html

6 Likes

A deeply religious neurosurgeon with no experience as a public servant, and who believes the pyramids were used as granaries doesn’t know how to manage public housing?

I’m shocked! I say shocked to my very core!

51 Likes

With Pruitt gone it was only a matter of time until the “Biggest Arsehole” tournament within the regime heated up again. Lots of tough competition in the social welfare bracket from all its branches:

Food and shelter. For reference:

25 Likes

Not to worry. As long as those elderly and disabled folks have the right attitude, all will be well.

“I think poverty to a large extent is also a state of mind. You take somebody that has the right mind-set, you can take everything from them and put them on the street, and I guarantee in a little while they’ll be right back up there. You take somebody with the wrong mind-set, you can give them everything in the world — they’ll work their way right back down to the bottom.” - Dr. Ben Carson

Christ on crutches, what a fucking asshole.

37 Likes

I say we take all their money, force these repubs to work full time at minwage service jobs, and see if they grow some fucking empathy. And same with their voters.

35 Likes

37 Likes

tumblr_inline_pbwn6aaqsQ1qa4h54_540

21 Likes

Hey, he’s gotta be smart and capable, he got rich by cutting people’s brains! Why people who choose to be poor can’t pull themselves up by their scalpels instead and do the same things he did is something I’ll just never understand.

21 Likes

26 Likes

Damnit, the dining set is not going to pay for itself!

13 Likes

I’m increasingly convinced that Carson learned brain surgery by practicing on himself.

ETA Maybe HUD could provide any displaced residents with a Carson branded home trepanation kit:

10 Likes

Is that why he had to stop doing it? I mean, who else would let him cut them open? And having surgically removed his own common sense, compassion, ability to grasp any concept vaguely complex, sense of decency - indeed anything remotely related to humanity - he was finally ready for a poltical career with the rest of the right wing fuckwits, who could not recognise him as one of their own until his auto-surgical adventures had completed.

15 Likes

Of course he does.

10 Likes

They wouldn’t. After so long not using their capacity for empathy, they would just dive straight into self-pity, without the ability to universalise it.

In fact, I bet that they wouldn’t develop any empathy at all.

12 Likes

This take-all-their-stuff-and-throw-them-on-the-street theory should be tested, on Dr. (sic) Ben Carson.

17 Likes

In my neck-of-the-woods low income public housing is occupying prime real estate. People have been trying for years to get rid of them in order to plop down high priced condos. Ben and his fellow racists are just trying to clear the properties in order to make a buck.

25 Likes

“Dr.” Carson claims that he is a Christian. So, let’s see what Jesus has to say about Carson’s agenda:
Matthew 25, vs 41: “Then he (God) will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

24 Likes

“But that’s for the people. The government is built of Mammon, and therefore fundamentally evil. So it is our sacred commission to destroy it”.

4 Likes

Well that’s an impressive number of shitty sentiments mashed into a single paragraph. There’s some classic “two kinds of people” dipshitry; there’s the poverty-is-a-moral-failing theme that’s such an evergreen hit with literal antichrists; there’s the direct implication that it can never be right to help someone in financial distress (since, if you need it, then you’re the kind of person for whom it won’t help).

The real repellent part is where he’s all, “I’m giving you the positive message that you can simply choose not to be poor, isn’t that kind of me?” Because, no actually, that Hallmark bullshit is not virtuous or kind or uplifting if it’s not true. This pushes my buttons. What I hear is “I’'ve avoided feeling bad about your pain by being too dumb and/or sociopathic to even recognise that it exists. Isn’t that good news? You’re welcome!”

29 Likes

A similar idea: all potential congress people must live as someone in the lowest twentieth percentile income level of their district for one month before being allowed to serve in Congress.

They would be matched with someone who agrees to let them live in their home and do their job for that month. Stand-ins for any children would be provided, and the congressperson would have to take care of them as well.

Meanwhile the person and their family would have their choice of a fully paid vacation for that month, or live in the congressperson’s house, their choice.

edited to add: Pay for that month would be switched, as well.

18 Likes