Ben Carson thinks poverty is a state of mind

I suppose I should, though even thinking about describing all this to someone who probably thinks me inferior, unworthy of care, or simply not trying, is exhausting. Everything leading up to now that I described and other indignities on top of that have taken the fight out of me and I’m not sure how to reinvigorate myself, despite knowing how much that’s needed in these times.

9 Likes

In your situation, I’d take your well-articulated post exactly as written, and SNAIL-MAIL it to your congressperson (along with an email; emails can get ‘lost’ in the crowd, hence the snail-mail).

8 Likes

Instead, perhaps send it to the same Guardian reporter who was recently attacked by a GOP politician.

9 Likes

Damn, you’re good.

4 Likes

Ben Carson is IMO not very knowledgeable about such things. But the headline (in contrast to Carson’s actual remarks) hints at a greater truth. Poverty can only be defined within what system one uses to measure wealth, and what system one subscribes to is a choice.

1 Like

[quote]
“And you take somebody with the wrong mindset, you can give them everything in the world…”[/quote]

…and they’ll do just fine because the rich are never punished for their mistakes.

8 Likes

The mouth-eyes should get eye-beards!

4 Likes

He will be back in the neurosurgery biz no time!*

16 years, give or take, with undergrad/med school/general surgery residency/neurosurgery fellowship*

**Oh, and under a crushing mountain of student loans!

7 Likes

##Dear Dr. Ben Carson:

##Sincerely,

##Melizmatic

23 Likes

In Soviet Whitehouse, Carson’s mind states YOU.

4 Likes

Survivorship bias is a hell of a drug.

18 Likes

Ah poetry.

There is a reason why surgeons are considered the jocks of medicine.

The main requirement for a good brain surgeon is steady hands.

3 Likes

Ladies and gentleman, a synopsis of Doctor Strange in eleven words.

4 Likes

But how can he have steady hands when he’s perpetually in REM sleep? :thinking:

1 Like

“Hey J.C., you wanna keep that bloody nail-pierced palm of yours off my jacket? I just had this thing cleaned!”

3 Likes

Because the body is paralyzed during REM sleep. It’s during other states of sleep that we twitch and turn.

1 Like

Not mine.

REM atonia disorder occurs in about 0.5% of the population, so I’d buy that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.