Bernie Sanders is (by far!) the most popular politician in America

I could be wrong. All the same that guy saying those things doesn’t seem to carry the narrative about 2018 you were just dropping. Anyway, nice talk, but I think I’m done with this thread. See you elsewhere.

1 Like

I’ve yet to see anybody address the fact that it’s the DNC’s responsibility to put forward a nominee that has the best chance of winning the election, and that was clearly Sanders.

Overriding the popular primary vote to ensure the best chance of winning the general is the whole point of superdelegates, isn’t it?

Or is it to ensure that no pesky outsiders get a crack at upsetting the corrupt status quo, and the future of the nation can go to fucking buggery?

Which is it? Pretty sure the DNC charter doesn’t admit it’s the latter.

##notwhatitsaysonthefuckingtin

3 Likes

You mean the only trustworthy candidate since Jimmy Carter, who is one of the only folks who espouse economic policy that leads to prosperity rather than ruin? Sometimes, some things are actually true.

4 Likes
  1. The southern primaries are front-loaded in the Democratic race.
  2. Early in the primary season, there was an almost total media blackout on Sanders.
  3. Clinton had probably the highest name recognition of any candidate since Eisenhower.
  4. Clinton spent the last decade locking up the support of every establishment black Democrat in the party.

Barely anyone in the South knew who Bernie was at the time of the southern primaries. Clinton and the DNC worked hard to keep it that way.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Wow, that photo sure is flattering to 45.

1 Like

I know! I can only see one of his hands, but he doesn’t appear to be groping anyone. Talk about presidential!

8 Likes

That is thier prime duty, I would think.

They would manufacture scandals. They did it to Obama, who is also virtually beyond reproach. Remember Jeremiah Wright?

1 Like

Obama passed Clinton’s campaign funding before the primary voting began, and it wasn’t just on the back of small private donations. Bernie Sanders is the only campaign I can think of where the claim of the majority of their support came from small individual donations is true.

2 Likes

They are different in that American voters are more fearful of the left than the right. I wish that weren’t true, but it is. Look at how the Occupy Wall Street protesters were treated compared to the Tea Party.

3 Likes

293 comments so far and people are really just talking about 2016 and 2020.

Hey… 2018, people! Eyes. Ball.

I don’t drink enough bourbon…

4 Likes

I’m not going to reply to a particular post because I’m joining almost 300 posts in, but here are a few things:

1. People are saying Sanders is popular because he only criticizes / he isn’t president / etc. In March 2009 Obama’s approval rating was +34. In March 2001 George W Bush’s approval rating was +29. Clinton was +38. Pay attention to facts, if he was president his approval rating would be higher. His approval ratings would be under +28 after six years of being president for sure. It would be extremely unremarkable for a president to be +28 in March of their first year (it might even be remarkably low). It’s incredible that someone who isn’t president is that well regarded.

2. People are saying Sanders supporters are lousy/annoying/racist/sexist. He’s at fucking +28. Remember when Hillary Clinton got in trouble for saying a quarter of the country was racist*? You’re saying 70%+ is without even counting the antisemites.

3. I saw a little bit of the implication that Sanders is somehow racist or at least that he is disliked by racialized groups because Clinton did so much better with black voters. You can look up approval ratings for Sanders with black democrats during the race - he was plenty popular. Black democrats** liked both Clinton and Sanders and just liked Clinton better. I know choosing between two good options is totally outside of the Overton Window for American politics, but that is really what happened. All of these things can be true: Black Democrats liked Bernie Sanders and his message; Black Democrats preferred Hillary Clinton to Bernie Sanders; Hillary Clinton beat Bernie Sanders for the nomination in large part because she was the preferred candidate of black Democrats. No contradiction there.

* She was right, but if we are engaging with that instead of making pithy comments - and thus acknowledging that most Americans promote racism - I’d point out that the radical left is the home of anti-racism activism, and also refer you to my third point.

** Remember, these are just dumb aggregates. People who are black and American and members of the Democratic Party are still people, not fungible pieces of a voting block.

7 Likes

You think we should worry about his re-election campaign?

2 Likes

My #1 issue right now is to actually vote, which is why it’s important to bring up things like the Democrats shitting on Ellison and forcing him to a deputy role is still the most progressive the party has been in my lifetime.

Get out an vote people, all of your local elections are available online. Even if you just vote but don’t vote for the single candidate available then you become part of the data contributing to how any party allocates their funds.

3 Likes

That’s more the media, who has a vested interest in not talking about money in politics, because they are in the business of selling political ads.

On a point by point basis, people fall pretty far to the left.

3 Likes

I would argue that is more the authoritarian institutions since the Tea Party’s success butters their bread compared to (to choose a random example) BLM. You see a lot of blue lights on the front of houses that once had GOP signs in the lawn.

I think we should be primarily having a discussion about how the party manages the 2018 campaign and this discussion should be about his place in it. The problem I have is that everyone wants to be right about 2016. Fuck you! You know who was right about 2016? Donald Trump. And the single biggest problem that Democrats have is that they disappear in midterms.

*The “fuck you” wasn’t directed specifically at you, @daneel. I hope that was obvious.

3 Likes

Has Perez said anything about what his strategy is yet?

Midterms? The last comparable one might be 2006, and that went okay.

(I think the Dems might get the house back while the Senate gets worse, TBH)

4 Likes

I am not so optimistic. I remember that one and one of the big factors was Republican voter disenchantment (in part because the party wasn’t right-wing enough, I’ll give it to the elephants, they know how to discipline their politicians). I think that the voters may decide they don’t like Trump, but that won’t necessarily translate into their local races.

I guess what I’m saying is that Christmas only comes once a year. Unless Trump leaves us a such a big present tied up in a nice little bow that Republican voters can’t ignore it.

1 Like