Bernie Sanders on small money donations vs sucking up to billionaires

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Nonsense, why that strategy hasn’t worked since 2012.

5 Likes

“We must pass a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United, and I will not nominate any justice to the Supreme Court who does not make it abundantly clear that she or he will overturn that decision. We need legislation that requires wealthy individuals and corporations who make large campaign contributions to disclose where their money is going. And more importantly, I believe we need to move towards the public funding of elections.”

I just sent another $50 bucks to Bernie.

15 Likes

I mean, not nominating a Justice who wouldn’t overturn it…is good rhetoric, but not all that significant (given that Congress must approve the Justice and that the Justices are only enforcing what they see as law). Amendment would make sense, but is haaaard.

But it is good rhetoric! Would that Hillary would be saying similar things!

AND a case has to be brought, and make its way up to the Supreme Court, and be heard by the court. Justices can’t just make any ruling they want- for good reason.

1 Like

Except Citizens United.

2 Likes

Of course, in Canada, we’ve done this in stages over the last 20 years. First, corporations were not allowed to donate to political campaigns. Then, unions were added to the list. Now, individual donations have been capped at about $1,100 CDN/year. (Note: federal elections only; unions can still buy gov’ts at the provincial level, as happened recently in Ontario). We did have a federal political subsidy, based on the number of votes each party got in the previous election, but that is slowly being phased out. Hasn’t seemed to hurt democracy at all in Canada.

8 Likes

So Sanders is a Rootstriker too? It makes me happy there is a candidate with a chance that supports Lessig’s platform.

3 Likes

Wait, I’ve been told over and over again that Boing Boing is part of the conspiracy to not cover Sanders. How is this post possible?

2 Likes

Bernie Sanders is the greatest thing to happen to American politics in my lifetime. Go Bernie!!

9 Likes

I guess one who has some time (and a desktop rather than a crappy phone browser) could sum up the articles about Trump and Carson and other Wall-Street-moneyed candidates (yes, that definitely does include Ms. Clinton) vs Bernie articles and come to a conclusion vis a vis a desire not to cover the ACTUAL important topics of this elections.

What are the ACTUAL important topics of this election?

Money’s significantly corrupting influence in politics, international relations, crumbling infrastructure, opiate issues, gun issues, crime issues, and should I go on?

But its much more fun to cover the dumbass shit coming out of Trumps mouth or the “how DARE reporters ask Hillary about Bill’s affairs?” that have no impact on our lives or how a President will act when in office.

4 Likes

You sound disappointed.

I followed your lead.

Well, @doctorow if you are nice to @Cowicide, you just may be allowed to name the super-mutant-PACk before Sanders eliminates them.

8 Likes

Yeah, jumping on the bandwagon – I made my first donation to Bernie today.

It really is getting to be do-or-die time for the campaign. What I wouldn’t give for a fresh Iowa poll!

5 Likes

Perhaps the powder was being kept dry?

We can hope?

Testify!!!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.