Bert and Ernie are just friends, says Sesame Workshop

They were just friends- with benefits.

2 Likes

Bert is a pigeon . . . fancier.

Ernie loves his rubbery ducky.

I figure they’re just two fetishists living together out of convenience.

9 Likes

If I ever join a long-term relationship, she’s probably going to want separate beds, because I’ve got the Jimmy Legs.

6 Likes

Google image search: puppet fisting

I’m at work so I leave that as a exercise for those at home.

2 Likes

Aren’t most puppets into that?

2 Likes

Exactly. For puppets it not a gay or straight thing. But it does make for some humorous cartoons. I have safe search off on my phone so I get a lot more than cartoons on this search.

2 Likes

Bert’s a hot head and may or may not be gay, but Ernie will definitely fuck anything…ANYTHING!

1 Like

Ooh! I can help with that! My thoughts: Big Bird and Snuffleupagus… Totally closeted gay couple.

1 Like

Yeah me too.

Restless Legs

So, is it significant that for a long time no one saw Snuffy?

The resulting conversation on Twitter was interesting. Frank stuck to his guns, explaining that Bert & Ernie were always conceived as being good friends living together, and that retconning 50 years of Sesame Street to put them into an implied physical relationship didn’t make sense (which I agree with).

When someone tried to explain that visibility and representation is important, he was hesitant, until they said “Frank, when have you ever had to justify being heterosexual?” and he clearly got it, thanking them, and saying that he had some stuff to ponder.

His take on it is pretty clear: yes, representation is important, gay characters are valid and wonderful, but Bert & Ernie aren’t the characters to do it with, because that wouldn’t be honest to the characters that he and Jim created.

15 Likes

Oh, we all know that guy who talks an amazing game, but keeps his boyfriend hidden…

2 Likes

But puppets don’t have the equipment for that. :slight_smile:

Oh dear sweet baby Cthulhu! Mario Kart has become a new naughty byword and a vital part of political news.

1 Like

Were any muppets presented as married/partnered? If the answer is no, I’d concede :slight_smile:

Likewise, neither one of them has any ethnicity whatsoever, they’re just puppet-toned. No church or family background… no wonder they come under suspicion all the time!

1 Like

To my memory…
Count Von Count had a girlfriend (Countess von Backwards)
The Swedish Chef currently wears a wedding ring for unknown reasons
Oscar the Grouch had a girlfriend (Grundgetta)
Snuffy had parents who got a divorce as part of a big storyline
And of course, Gonzo has Camilla the Chicken.

6 Likes

puppets don’t have genitalia or a sex drive…

Somebody needs to be introduced to Podge & Rodge.

1 Like

Sure, they are friends… with benefits?

Ahem… I have seen things. And I only link to it so nobody who doesn’t want to know has to look.

2 Likes