The Sesame Street Gang’s values

Originally published at: The Sesame Street Gang's values | Boing Boing

6 Likes

It seems like values of diversity, equity, and dignity for all rubbed some conservatives the wrong way.

There are few better boreholes into the depraved and rotten core of modern American conservative ideology than its antipathy toward educational programming that brings joy to small children. The bigotry, classism, greed, mean-spiritedness, and anti-intellectualism come spewing out, belying all their claims of being champions of “family values”.

The world would be a far worse place now without Sesame Street, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, Free to Be You and Me, and all the other wonderful mass media content bestowed on Gen X and succeeding generations of kids.

29 Likes

I know it’s frowned upon to have toddlers watch “too much” TV, but if there’s one show I will gladly let them watch, it’s Sesame Street.

I don’t understand assholes that pick fights against it. It’s educational, free, and most importantly, as diverse as real life gets.

18 Likes

This! This! A thousand times this!

8 Likes

Liberals: Let’s make a show that teaches kids letters, numbers, and words, and helps develop their self worth.

Conservatives: How dare you teach non-white kids they are human beings worthy of dignity!

18 Likes

I checked netflix and hulu. The former couldn’t find it in a search, and the latter said they have it, but I have to get some kind of “add-on”. I’ll keep looking.

2 Likes

HBOMAX and DirectTV have it streaming,

2 Likes

That makes sense given Sesame Street’s relation to HBO.

2 Likes

Obligs:

5 Likes

Homer Today GIF

5 Likes

Oh, c’mon now… it’s not that bad, considering how BB generally gets down…

5 Likes

Think that’s bad? Wait until the gritty live-action* reboot:

*(or whatever you call a reboot that replaces puppets with human actors)

3 Likes

I am not unblurring that, thank you very much. I have a soft spot for the Muppets.

6 Likes
5 Likes

Jane Seymour Reaction GIF by CBS

4 Likes

4 Likes

6zoor9

7 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.