"Beskar" solid state drives

Originally published at: "Beskar" solid state drives | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Could be fun to work up an entire home built with a Star Wars theme.

2 Likes

The Marketing is strong in this one.

9 Likes

Aren’t those Imperial ingots bad reminders of an atrocity in Mandalorian history?

The only good thing about them is when they’re melted down and turned back into armor.

3 Likes

There is a great deal of controversy over whether those ingots were real Beskar or merely “pattern-mythologized” materials. It’s all good though because “Damascus steel” is and always was just a marketing term with no consistent meaning. So, totally consistent with Disney practices.

1 Like

I wonder if Samsung shares Star Wars fans’ enthusiasm, or if it sees them more as a big juicy udder that it can reach out and joylessly milk with its corporate pedipalps

1 Like

My experience of the few PCs I have built in the M.2 era suggests they all sit under heatsinks/fans? Especially fast ones?

Won’t that hide the Imperial logo?

2 Likes

I believe that is the heatsink
Though, on many rigs it would still be obscured by the graphics card

1 Like

I guess they are advertising that it’ll be cooler without using the manufacturer-supplied heatsink? My ASUS mobos sure have’em and that looks like the M.2 drive sans Imperial logo. The heatsink has a thermal pad to make the fit right.

1 Like

EKWB makes M.2 heatsinks (including the part used in the PS5), so I assume that this custom one is as good as what motherboard makers include in their kit, and has the thermal coupling pad in there. What I don’t get is how they do it without exposed fins - seems like that would be hard

ETA: just realized that you were saying the ASUS heatsinks you have also don’t have fins. I guess that is not uncommon then (all of mine have fins). So, yeah, I think that these just have the heatsink already attached with the logo on them

I really don’t want to know how your mind works.

1 Like

Another franchise.

1 Like

No, mine have fins and a fan!

Probably the Aquaman version will have fins.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.