Best Buy to end DVD/Blue Ray sales

The last time I was at a Best Buy a few years ago, it was reminiscent of the waning days of Fry’s

2 Likes

Yeah, where are the 3-story erstwhile RedBox vending machines in BestBuys, it would be cool if your flick did away with the extra wrapper and virginity stickers and you could preroll a scene or two.

1 Like

More likely if she actually played music it’d be early The Cure but with some early speed metal too?

1 Like

I was passed some kids DVDs from a lady who bought them for her grandkids, but none of them had a DVD player. Thought I’d pass them to my nieces, but none of them have a DVD player. Not even a PC. Asked around the neighbourhood. No one has a DVD player anymore.

Doesn’t anybody use libraries anymore? I can reserve a DVD online, gets sent to my local branch and I ride my bike down there and pick it up. I can get free streaming service, ebooks and borrow a WiFi hotspot.

And yes, I do cash donate to the libraries programs.

3 Likes

When will DVDs & CDs become hipster collector’s items? I have a boxful of unsellable band CDs just waiting…
Meanwhile I get my DVDs from the freebox, library, or thrift; everybody in my area is throwing them out now & I’ve seen some great movies that way!

1 Like

My library never had blurays, all it has are DVDs, and the image quality on those is pretty lackluster,

Yes, I’m there weekly. The people there know me and my family. And I both donate to the library and volunteer for the seasonal book sales.

They have videos there, sure, but I’m worried that Best Buy may serve as a bellwether for physical media. It’s possibly isolated, but it could be that physical media sales in general are slowing down. And if people aren’t buying discs anymore, then no one will be producing discs anymore. Your library will have access to previously released content but not to new releases.

2 Likes

As someone who still collects blu-rays (and 4ks) I can tell you this is a nothing-burger. Physical media for films started as an expensive niche thing. Laserdiscs and early VHS was too expensive for the masses, and was only sold in specialty shops. The big studios dropped the barrier to entry price and owning physical copies of films became a mainstream thing for a few decades. Once a cheaper option to access became available (streaming) the masses moved there. Over time the stores serving the masses are dipping out, meanwhile the releases are increasing in quantity, depth, quality, and price - and the sales of which have become basically two options: Amazon and direct-from-publisher. Owning films on physical media is niche again, with amazing releases designed to appeal to collectors, not the unwashed masses. Most collector’s know this is a natural development and ultimately a good thing as long as the niche collector market continues to support and slowly grow it’s community.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.