Better way to organize kids' clothing departments

[Permalink]

Great suggestion indeed, but I have to ask: What part of boys wearing leggings would be the awesome part?

1 Like

Try shopping outside of department stores. Etsy or here: http://www.polarnopyretusa.com/ or many others.

1 Like

Superhero, robot, pirate, animal (including ponies), fairy and fireman sections would be awesome.
I would love to see kids clothes organized in a more unisex manner, or just less pink on the girl’s sections in general.

Also, dude, leggings are comfy.

2 Likes

The part where they are comfortable, and allow for a greater range of movement than little boy’s jeans.

5 Likes

But what about PRETTY or SPARKLY?

2 Likes

My first thought is that is too many categories, and also not enough. They’re too specific. It’s hard not to define a category, like “pretty” that would pretty much just be the girls section again.

I’m thinking more like:

FORMAL (button down shirts, slacks, fancy dresses)
FUN (T shirts, shorts, sundresses)
PAJAMAS (self explanatory)

Or we could just address the underlying complaint: Too much girl stuff is overly pink and “girly”, there’s too little variety.

My wife has the same complaint. Our little girl is only 5 months old, but already she has given away garbage bags full of pink hand-me-downs (from other parents) because she can’t stand overly pink girls clothes. It’s a struggle to find a nice green dress or purple onesie for her. Luckily babies are all pretty much the same at this age so she can wear boy clothes just fine, but I wonder what it’s going to be like in a few years. She may end up being a girly girl and love pink anyway, to her Mom’s chagrin.

3 Likes

I hated jeans as a kid for just that reason. As a nerd who didn’t care what anyone thought of how he looked, I ended up wearing pretty much all sweatpants until high school, and even then it took sustained prompting from both my older sisters to change my ways.

5 Likes

Ah, shades of horrible things to come. My mother-in-law had tubs of hand-me-down baby clothes sorted by “girl”, “boy” and “gender neutral”. In reality, they were basically “girl”, “normal human being”, and “plain white onesies”. We took home all three and Althea will wear a mixture. But I really really really really really am already hating the little girl clothing industry that treats small female people as strange creatures that are only interested in pink, sparkles, and shopping princesses. It’s vile.

16 Likes

I used to shop for my daughter’s clothes in the boys’ department for the simple reason that she was really rough on her clothes and the girly clothes were just not made as tough. Boys’ clothes were also cut more generously. It worked great until she was around age 5, when the other girls at daycare convinced her that she had to wear pink and only pink. Thankfully she’s expanded her wardrobe choices in the last few years.

3 Likes

We didn’t tell anyone what gender our baby was going to be until she was born, which meant that we got more neutral colored clothes as gifts. Our hero was a friend who sent us a number of onesies in earthy colors from a sensible shop in Germany. We still get quite a lot of hand-me-downs from other parents, but unfortunately now there’s a definite pink bias in the clothes we’re given.

4 Likes

It worked great until she was around age 5, when the other girls at daycare convinced her that she had to wear pink and only pink.

Ugh I hate the fact that this brainwash/socialization is impossible to avoid. Our girl enjoyed a wide variety of colours, toys and subjects until one day, suddenly, it was “Princess!Princess! Princess!” everything. We were completely stumped since we don’t have TV and had never bought ‘princess’ branded stuff. Then we figured it out: She had been babysat at a friend’s house a couple of times… with 3 slightly older girls. That did it.

Fortunately, she mostly got over it after a couple of months. While we had to add some princessy stuff among the rest, her own tastes and idiosyncrasies are shining through again. This is really all we care about: We don’t think she should hate stereotypically girly/princessy stuff, but we don’t wish for her to completely limit her own range of tastes because of outside influences.

8 Likes

Between not wanting to buy into the pink/sparkly/princess stuff and the branded/merchandising stuff, yeah, it’s very hard to shop. We buy a lot of our daughter’s clothes at second-hand places, not because it’s cheaper (though it is) but because it’s easier to weed out the crap, possibly because the stock in the store doesn’t represent only one season’s worth of what industry wants to sell us?

I don’t think the two categories I’ve named are separable, actually. It’s all part of the 7x24 marketing crosshairs that are the birthright of every kid. The sooner they can train the kids to accept their designated roles, the easier it’ll be to sell them movies/clothes/merch/patent nostrums. For me, the biggest gag-reflex trigger is (the oft-lionized in these pages) Disney and their bletcherous princesses, but it’s all bad.

1 Like

Hmm … I always thought about jeans as a very comfortable clothing item. Maybe I ought to try on some leggings sometime.

2 Likes

Why should this be limited to children’s clothes? Adults should shop for clothes the same way.

1 Like

Do you not?

1 Like

Adult clothes, at least in department stores, are segmented by gender and manufacturer. So there’s no way to look at, say, all their t-shirts: you are limited to just the t-shirts manufactured for a given gender by a given manufacturer. There’s no way to easily peruse all the “casual” clothing without going around to every department and hunting them down individually.

Love this idea! We’ve been doing the same thing for our 2.5 year old. She loves science, robots, rockets, monsters, pirates - things typically in the boys section. She even chose monster themed underwear for her first set. But she also loves pink and purple. So getting the boyish themes in her favorite colors has been a challenge.

On the flip side, boys will feel freer to pick things typically girly. She has boy friends who love pink and another that wears his sister’s dresses to the park. No one judges around here. Well if they do, they don’t comment.

2 Likes

Well, most adult men and women really are shaped differently enough to affect the fit of many garments. Prepubescent kids, not so much.

2 Likes

Neiman Marcus does something like this on their website. They have women’s clothes divided by department, but also grouped into “LifeStyles”

Although this might involve a fair amount of restructuring for a physical store, on a website it would be relatively easy to provide alternate navigation.

Seems like also things like the Pajamas, boots, etc., that are more unisex anyway could go ahead and be combined. The clothing sizes are an issue.