Beverly Hills is an abortion rights battleground

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/30/beverly-hills-is-an-abortion-rights-battleground.html

7 Likes

Hmm, I don’t seem to recall there being an episode of Beverly Hills Teens where Larke gets pregnant and Troy has to take her to a back-alley abortion clinic near Skid Row because there are no Planned Parenthood clinics in Beverly Hills… maybe that was a planned very special episode in the cancelled 2nd season or something.

Fun fact: that cartoon preceded Beverly Hills 90210 by three years.

4 Likes

Although this sounds like the city is caving to a bunch of outsider Xtianist shakedown artists, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the extortionists live in the city. Strangely for a place with its demographics, Beverly Hills has an unusually high number of loud and proud Qnuts as residents.

5 Likes

Looking forward to the Beverly Hills City Council getting 100 times more shit for this than the protests they were trying to avoid.

What a bunch of absolute cowards. Imagine voting in one of these fuckers and realizing that they’d happily sell out their constituents, undemocratically ignore the public interest, in favor of kowtowing to a group just to avoid a little “messiness.”

11 Likes

Imagine denying healthcare to women to keep some creeps happy?

I mean, we don’t have to, because they and many others did it.

15 Likes

I only have to imagine voting for the cowards that did this (and how absolutely pissed I’d be as a result).

3 Likes

Why does this right wing extortion so often work?

7 Likes

I’m not even sure this is really about people trying to outlaw abortion or even to appease the creeps so much as it’s a case of classist bullshit where the people who run the city just want to make sure it happens somewhere else. Sure, women should have the right to choose—but heaven forfend that something as déclassé as an abortion clinic and the accompanying protests exist anywhere near the fashionable parts of Wilshire Boulevard.

In a way that makes the decision even more awful; it’s not even based on heartfelt beliefs so much as abject, classist cowardice.

11 Likes

They’re loud, angry, and often heavily armed?

5 Likes

Absolutely. This reeks of Nimbyism. (Not In My BackYard). It recalls immediately my childhood Presbyterian Church voting against the possibility of a homeless refuge on the same block as the church, and two doors down from the Manse. Very Christian, I thought. But classic Nimbyism.

13 Likes

Is it me or is the wording from the Forced Birth activists outright extortion? That crosses the line from protected protest to criminal activity, no?

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.