Beware the dangers of mochi

Originally published at: Beware the dangers of mochi | Boing Boing

2 Likes

You have to be careful when you eat the rich. A Peter Thiel prion protean would be horrible.

35 Likes

Choking hazard?

Isn’t that true of pretty much all solid food, though?

32 Likes

When it comes to red bean or green tea ice-cream mochi, the only danger I face is over consumption.

22 Likes

Maybe what they mean is it doesn’t break down easily in the mastication stage, so be sure to chew?

As someone with sinus/throat issues, I have to be a slow eater or I do choke.

10 Likes

I hear ya.

I only consume the ice cream version, but chewing carefully is par for the course in general around my house.

8 Likes

Is BoingBoing experimenting with clickbait?

5 Likes

There’s a mute button on every post; I use it frequently for the posts I find uninteresting to me, (which, admittedly, is a lot lately.)

9 Likes

What? BB isn’t a news organization?

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

13 Likes

It just struck me as an especially “nothing” story. I was waiting for them to bring up something about bacteria or a previously-unknown chemical effect. And then it’s just… choking hazard.

But I hope you enjoyed your snark, and chewed it thoroughly.

11 Likes

It’s like mentos for me. I’ve had one go down the wrong pipe while I was driving down I75. I hesitate to eat them now.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is conflating two different Japanese food products that are both called “mochi” here in the U.S. 99% of the mochi one meets in the U.S. is of the pictured kind, the dessert. But there is another, much more common in Japan than here, which appears to be what you would get were you to take ordinary semi-cooked rice and put it in a hydraulic press until it became a single, massive, squishy rice grain.

The definition of “dessert” in Japan is… foreign. It includes, for example, boiling one of these massive rice grains until it is gelatinous, and dipping it in crushed peanut. (My feeling was: is there supposed to be chocolate involved and they forgot it?) You can try to chew bites off this half-dried Elmer’s Glue capsule but eventually you give up and swallow it whole. Or not, and you die, apparently.

[ETA “in the U.S.” after “here”. How embarassing]

9 Likes

I bet more people die choking on hot dogs

5 Likes

I like the traditional mochi served with soybean powder. But then the other options available were soy sauce and grated daikon, or an. So it’s simply the best option of the three. The stuff made with mochi ko is great but I agree it’s definitely a whole other food.

6 Likes

See also “gnocchi.”

7 Likes

Thirty-two times keeps your tummy from danger; then you can stay up and listen to The Lone Ranger.

5 Likes

“NYT cooking recently released a butter mochi recipe inspired by Hawaiian cooking.”

Butter mochi is wonderful, but we don’t need to pretend it’s inspired by Hawaiian cooking. It’s (at least least the kind in this recipe) Hawaiian in origin. The best recipe I’ve found was published in the now defunct Lucky Peach magazine.

And on the subject of the dangers of mochi, I’m surprised there was no mention of constipation. When it’s mochi making season it’s very easy to over indulge. It’s basically a loaf of Wonderbread crammed into a one inch lump. There’s a bag from the school, a bag from the neighborhood association, another one from the family down the road… Add a snackish kid and you have a recipe for disaster.

7 Likes

My GF turned me on to the desert mochi. With like a fruity gummy middle. Yum. I like to nibble it.

1 Like

Money brains?

5 Likes

The real danger is in the making process.

15 Likes