Beware this marijuana vaping cartridge brand

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/beware-this-marijuana-vape-car.html

‘Dank’ is definitely not dank.

You know what would greatly reduce shady black market products with possible harmful components?

Hint - rhymes with “eagle eyes” and “ejaculate”.

9 Likes

Two things. First, you shouldn’t put anything labeled “dank” in your body.

Dank, adj.: disagreeably damp, musty, and typically cold.

Second, there are some people in California, land of legalized cannabis and cannabis related products, who prefer black market cannabis products like Dank, because “no way I’m paying all those taxes on weed!”

(edit) sigh.

7 Likes

Correct. Dank things go in your safe.

[ETA. For those new in town:

10 Likes

And some of those people also think that people getting sick and dying from these black market “Dank” vape cartridges is part of a government conspiracy, not because the black market has no mechanism for excluding incompetents with no regard for product safety.

You give some people Occam’s razor and they’ll slice their hand open holding it on the sharp side and trying to cut things with the dull side.

11 Likes

I strongly support your political views, but have strongly differing views on what words rhyme.

12 Likes

The whole situation with people getting sick from vaping is very frustrating because it’s quite possible it’s all due to these black market goods, but patients are lying because they don’t want to admit to a crime. So it creates a lot of chaos and uncertainty, and pursuit of “solutions” that don’t have anything to do with the actual problem. There needs to be a real effort to make sure patients won’t get in trouble for telling the truth, and that they understand that. Right now I’m not sure either of those things are true.

10 Likes

I was going for “legalize” and “regulate”.

Not much of a poet, I guess.

:grin:

7 Likes

Came for this, leaving satisfied. Well done!

I find it interesting that Michigan doesn’t figure in the OP. Could it be because legal recreational cannabis sales start in two months, and medical has been legal here for over a decade?

@Mister44: I thought you were going for “legislate” with your second word, but here we are.

4 Likes

I’m so confused. What do my two favorite fictitious bands, “Regal Thighs” and “Fornicate” have to do with black market vaping?

5 Likes

Now who would lack the adult common sense and judgment to the degree that they’d buy and ingest such a dodgy product?

[looks at the flavour names and packaging]

Oh…

1 Like

Dank Vapes appears to be the most prominent in a class of largely counterfeit brands, with common packaging that is easily available online and that is used by distributors to market THC-containing cartridges with no obvious centralized production or distribution

I’m not quite following — what are these supposed to be a counterfeit of?

Is there one real Dank and a bunch of knock-offs? I’m increasingly getting the sense that all this reporting is misusing “counterfeit” to just generally mean “low quality” which is not at all correct.

4 Likes

I think it is counterfeit as in “Dank pretends to be a real brand, but is not, it is in fact anyone that borrows some artwork and prints a label”, so not counterfeit as in falsely pretending to be a specific established brand, but counterfeit as in pretending to be a brand at all.

If I’m correct I also freely admit it is definitely stretching the word into new territory.

5 Likes

Legislate would work :wink:

1 Like

True. And the cannabis certainly isn’t helping them keep it clear.

2 Likes

“Distrust that particular flavor.” – William Gibson

As always, living in the future.

3 Likes

Praise be unto the Seer and Prophet of these techorrific days.

1 Like

Perhaps a term like “uncontrolled brand” or “pseudo-brand” might be better.

3 Likes

I have ADHD. Cannabis actually helps keep my mind focused. I’m not alone. FYI.

4 Likes

Yeah, the more I think about, it feels like this odd usage stems from the recent integration of cannabis into legitimate commerce.

At least, historically “counterfeit” could mean very different things depending on whether we’re talking about street drugs or pharmaceuticals.

With pharmaceuticals, a counterfeit could be anything from a generic version of drug pretending to be the brand name, to one that’s just straight-up fake and doesn’t contain the active ingredients at all.

But with recreational drugs, counterfeit has instead meant “imitation controlled substances” — selling oregano as pot or confectioner’s sugar as coke. What it hasn’t meant is “adulterated” and I don’t think most users would call really heavily cut, stepped-on dope “counterfeit” so much as “shitty.” So long as the active ingredient’s there in some effective quantity, you’re not going to hear complaints of counterfeiting.

Even when we’re looking at brand identification in street drugs, like with pressed E pills, no one’s going to talk about counterfeits unless someone’s selling pills that just don’t work. If multiple dealers in multiple cities are making Transformer-logo pills, even if some have more MDMA than others, there’s no real concept of a brand identity besides “these are E pills.” And so long as they are, none of them are counterfeit, no matter where they come from.

1 Like