Beware unexpected extra charges added to your cable bill

We have Comcast without HD service, you just have to hook your TV into the AV outputs on your cable box.

I am.

There are issues with the unlimited plans having data caps/throttle points, I’ve heard there are plans without (business plans, and also i’ve heard of some off-menu ordering at one of the providers, if you’re willing to pay for it).

Example: lastnight I watched a couple episodes of Bottom, as well as one GLOW, no problem. Ive had really no problems, however, high bandwidth users may not love it. Suits me just fine, and I can travel anywhere and have the exact same internet with me.

Data speed hasn’t been a significant issue, but I’m not dealing with massive files either. It’s pretty transparent. Quite fast enough for a '73 Super Beetle on the Information Super Highway.

It is a more expensive option (+25-50%), though I’m glad to NOT pay the ‘dealing with unempowered Comcast drones who can’t help with their crappy service’ tax - and so the extra costs are worth it.

Oh, and it works when the power goes out. I live in the woods, this has been very helpful during storms.

I really do not like Comcast.

This diagram needs a separate circle that doesn’t intersect any of the others labeled ‘Comcast’.

2 Likes

You won’t see it, that is the point of NN. The biggest issue with NN is that your cable company is going to start selling you to youtube. Youtube will have to pay your ISP (that you already pay!) to let you use their service, which will be reduced ad splits for content creators.

Google, Facebook, MS, Amazon, etc. need to say "any ISP that engages in any pay-for-play (not just google and facebook) will be completely blacklisted. Yes, this is anti-competitive behavior that will do untold harm to their customers and it is really troubling that Google and Facebook have this power, but we need to destroy these ISPs… We should steal their infrastructure (build on government provided easments) and revoke their license to operate. They have no right to the monopoly they have been granted, and their fight for the right to abuse it means they should not exist.

From the perspective of the ISP, why not both?

NN wont matter after we abstract the last mile and cut comcast out of the business. I don’t mean municipal service as that would be from the pan to the fire but a distributed abstraction. A decentralized mesh network. Adjit got one thing right. The market will correct itself if the carriers start to screw with us too much, we will circumvent them. The net will repair itself by bypassing the bottlenecks.

For Boston MA. other than the Back Bay your choice is Comcast or Satellite services. Not living in the Back Bay comcast is my choice because those satellite antennas look silly and I live in an apartment.

I think these fees he spoke of are the Make America Great Again fees which President Trump promised us. People who voted for him just were not paying atention.

I’m all in. Where do we start?

Gahk!

Here in the UK for 4G I can either pay the equivalent of $1.70 per gigabyte or $33/month of actual unlimited, a month at a time. And that’s in a rural-ish area.
Admittedly I need 2 SIMs to do it but that is not a problem.

I guess, though, that charges will at least double on 1st April 2019 when we turn into a more distant version of Puerto Rico.

I also have Frontier FIOS. What a roller coaster - when Verizon offloaded their FIOS service in LA to Frontier, it was utter chaos for months. Now I basically have to call them every month or two just to make sure I’m not overcharged. Huge waste of my time. On the other hand, the cost in time and frustration to shift to another provider is even bigger. In my area, as far as I know, the competitors are Time-Warner and AT&T. So, plenty compared with most areas.
But they all suck. And we are not ready to cut the cord yet.
I wish I could get ISP decoupled from Cable TV. Also, I’d like to get twisted-pair phone service again… sigh.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.