Bicycle-mounted GPS laser projector

Originally published at: Bicycle-mounted GPS laser projector | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Then your ex programmes this to project potholes in to your path.

9 Likes

That is way cool! And also about 10X more expensive than any bike I’ve owned. I guess I’ll be waiting a while for the price to go down.

4 Likes

These ideas crop up every so often - see also the grid projector that reveals terrain changes.

… except it doesn’t, because you have to be riding on a perfectly flat surface for this to work properly.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d be much more interested in a system that projects light around and behind me for safety. I mean, isn’t the projector showing the exact same info that’s on the phone that’s mounted directly in front of you, anyway?

2 Likes

Well, yes, it is; however, a phone mounted on a rigid holder on the handlebars is going to be vibrating on most road surfaces and will be difficult to read clearly, plus it’s going to require the rider to keep looking down at a relatively small screen, this is not unlike a HUD on a car, especially in the dark, and much easier to see.
Now, if someone could develop a version for less than $100/£100…

1 Like

I couldn’t help but notice that they were riding illegally at night without a headlight, and wondered if that would wash out the laser, and if daylight does the same.

1 Like

Also for safety, I’m not gonna use a device that lets everyone on the street see where I’m going… :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Bouncing a pair oftiny laser galvos up amd down and jarring them repeatedly guarantees that your $1,000+ investment will need to be refurbished quite soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.