Biden: I will not pardon Trump

Obama wanted to “look forward, not backward”, but not prosecuting Bush II and members of his administration for their many lies and failures gave Republicans a feeling of immunity that landed us where we are today. The next president must prosecute and imprison Trump and his enablers at every opportunity to send a message that flagrant abuse of office will not be tolerated.

23 Likes

Just as Trump will not step down to let Pence pardon him, he is unlikely to try to pardon himself, as that would be an admission that he has done something wrong, which he will never admit. It would be amusing to see what happened if he tried, though.

If Trump tries to cancel the election I hope Pelosi shoots both him and Pence, and then as the succesor to the presidency pardon herself.

10 Likes

My money is on North Korea.
Trump Tower Pyongyang has a nice ring to it, and all they’d have to do is to rename the Ryugyong Hotel.

6 Likes

This makes perfect sense, but by now we should all realize that trump is immune to logic. Of course he could maintain his complete innocence while pardoning himself and genuinely not see the conflict. His supporters would gladly ignore any rational arguments right along with him.

In this administration, reason is never a reason

_

He prefers the northern beaches

14 Likes

There is a 100% chance that Trump will just die rather than face any consequences whatsoever for his actions.

By that I mean he has the lawyers and the resources to disrupt, delay and obfuscate any prosecution and/or trial until well past his expiry date, given his age and current (likely) health.

He’s used fleets of lawyers to delay innumerable court cases, there is no reason he wouldn’t do the same with a prosecution of himself. Best case (for him) he only has to delay a decade or so, or until he can get a doctor to pronounce him non compos mentis, which shouldn’t be particularly difficult.

What I’d like to see is some parallel prosecutions of the rest of his cabal, particularly the ones young enough to actually face meaningful consequences.

22 Likes

Screw you guys. Fresh lima beans with butter is great.

12 Likes

I can’t articulate it precisely, but this exemplifies a quality of Biden’s candidacy that makes me feel Turmp is going to get reëlected. It’s Biden selling the hope that we’ll wake up and it was all a dream, and to my mind that’s a big problem because, very much like that scene in Rosemary’s Baby, this is no dream. I worry that the horrible reality is going to march right past Biden and all the “centrists”.

Anyway I don’t see Turmp ever being tried for anything at a federal level. Who’d want to spend all that political capital keeping him in the headlines once he’s finally gone? But states are a different story, and as I’ve said before, I think that’s a good thing because if he goes down, it should be for his sordid, unglamorous, petty crimes, not for stuff that reminds people he was technically president. Convict him for sanitary violations, dump him in Riker’s Island and then we can all just try to forget he ever existed.

13 Likes

Honestly, haven’t had lima beans since I was a kid. It was just challenging thinking of a food I really disliked that a lot of other people also disliked. Even as I typed that though, I began to wonder if I should give them another try. My palate has expanded radically since then and who knows, maybe I’ll like them.

No one should try pardoning Cheetolini though. That’s guaranteed to leave a bad taste.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming…

8 Likes

Wouldn’t that just be poetic justice?

It’s a pretty bold assumption that Trump will meekly accept a loss, because he’s never respected the laws and rules of the game.

He’s going to have to be dragged from office, and will very likely continue to weaponize his base even after that happens.

9 Likes

Biden should lie. Tell Trump, “No sweat, you got nothin’ to worry about.” Maybe tell the base, “Eh, we’ll study it.”

Trump drops is guard, maybe a few records don’t get purged (who knows what he’s been able to keep under wraps), and then when the time comes, drop the hammer.

[FYI: The anti-lima bean movement fails to consider the true evil – peas!]

5 Likes

I’m not overly worried about a pardon, because it’s not like Trump will suddenly STOP committing crimes once they drag him out of the White House. It looks like he stopped learning anything new at some point in the early 80s so learning how to NOT conduct his business illegally is not gonna happen. And you CAN’T pardon somebody for crimes not yet committed.

And that could be quite useful. It is unlikely that Trump will manage to pardon every one of his sycrophants, so putting them on trial is a way to bring out Trumps crimes in open court, even if he HAS been pardoned. And it just might discourage future criminal syndicates infesting the White House.

10 Likes

He will acquire a new usefulness as a ‘trophy’ pawn. The PR of an ex US president seeking aid, succour and sanctuary in Russia might be worth it to him.

9 Likes

Canned ones are horrible. Frozen ones can be too starchy. The way my mom made them when we grew them I gobbled up. I think she just boiled and buttered them.

3 Likes

Regarding lima beans (or any other canned bean)
Try this
A) 1 can lima beans (drain the liquid but reserve 2 tbsp of the liquid)
B) 2 tbsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
C) 3 tbsp olive oil
D) 2-4 tbsp vietnamese chili sauce or sriracha.

Mix it and serve on crackers or toast.

4 Likes

It’s better from a “useful idiot management” perspective for Putin & Fox news to allow Trump to flee “deep state forces” and take sanctuary in Russia, only to “succumb to health issues” soon after and acheive permanent martyr status before he can open his mouth and finally say something that actually can screw it up without a whole political party running interference.

4 Likes

sounds good. i am happy to eat lima beans in almost any form. they are a gift from nature.

3 Likes

I think there is very little likelihood of Trump being prosecuted for anything once he leaves office. I don’t think in Washington, there is any appetite for setting a precedent of holding any president accountable for their actions, even if it is Trump.

Are Lima beans the same as broad beans? I like broad beans.
[ETA: Not from a tin tho. Fuck that]

3 Likes

asking what biden will or won’t do is a waste of time

have you seen him try to be spontaneous in discussions? he won’t be doing anything on a daily basis, he’s way past retirement, they are going to wheel him out of closet for official stuff and put him away after and get things done

now who he picks as VP, that is what I want to know, because it might be the only way I get to see a woman as president in my lifetime

6 Likes