Biden pardons 2000 servicemen convicted of gay sex crimes under old military law

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/26/biden-pardons-2000-servicemen-convicted-of-gay-sex-crimes-under-old-military-law.html

21 Likes
10 Likes

9 Likes

I was wondering if this would make Biden the President with the most pardons, but Jimmy Carter pardoned 200,000 Vietnam era draft evaders. That’s gonna be a hard record to break.

27 Likes

It’s worth trying.

Here’s hoping he has a second term to outdo Jimmy.

Happy Hour Party GIF by Two Lane Brewing

20 Likes

Jimmy Carter GIF by GIPHY News

18 Likes

I like the remix used in the criminally underrated Down Periscope.

7 Likes

Not if he overturns pot convictions.

7 Likes

Ah yes, who doesn’t enjoy a tall tale about “hunting Charlie down” and a supernatural ghost marine. The icing on the cake is that they guy glorifying the Vietnam war apparently never served in the military.

He already pardoned around 6,000 of those. He can only pardon federal convictions, not state convictions. The overwhelming majority of people with marijuana convictions were charged by the state, not the feds.

9 Likes

Given his discography (including Wall of Voodoo) I presume Ridgway’s tongue is firmly in cheek.

However, if you like your songs called “Camouflage” a little more acerbic, here you go

1 Like

I’m glad the pardon happened, but at the same time, it’s kind of shocking that this pardon hadn’t already happened.

4 Likes